When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Phoband rant on movements and newbs :)

fotoman

To summarise the horse shit above... Dude disrepects noobs but wants them all be impressed that he's been around 2005.

Gotta agree MMA :rofl:

And thats from someone who has been around almost since forums began, and who has 20+ dead A7750's on his bench which need unobtainable parts!

Offshore

• Like 1

mistyped the thread was about seconds at 12 AP.

in the original thread was an ongoing discussion about reliability of seconds at 12 daytonas. it went on for some time. i believe it was incorrect. so i layed out the criteria and the history of movements that were considered failure prone. and this came on the back

of a thread in which a bunch of newbs were afraid to run the chrono function on there a7750. The Zigmeister said there was nothing wrong with that. this is on top of a bunch of threads which almost seem like the membership are trying to convince newbs that purchasing is justified. in addition to the hightened level of service newbs are asking of member sales.

now some of you are to green to remeber the thread i was speaking of updating was well respected and considered a valuable contribution to the forum. so much so it was made a sticky. i wont go into why its not a sticky, it has nothing to do with the thread itself. so i was going to update it with more observations.

in doing so, i posted the comment here in order to see if my facts were correct.

my guess is that most of you didnt read the comment clearly or completely or maybe your just not capable of understanding the concept?. i dont know most of you. because no one has offered an opinion as to where i should correct it.

so let me say the following

1. i dont think its horse shlt. i was trying to contribute to the forum and wanted to make sure it was factually correct. if this is how you treat people that are trying to help, then maybe there is a reason that most senior members arent here anymore. you can say something constructive and correct me on an error factual or impression. or you can be douche and attack me.

2. offshore, not sure what your deal is. i dont know why you didnt reply to my pm about disliking your product in that thread. i was only relating my experience with similar itemz. if i knew you were selling it (you said avail from china) i would have taken a closer look before commenting. i see its not mutual. if you're upset about something else, you have never mentioned it.

re: someone on the internet telling you how to do things, if you bothered to read the post, you would see i clearly state what is my opinion and when there is significant controversy where my opinion is stated that others disagree. i also stated the evidence of my rational.

i put my resume there because i dont have the history there like i do here and since the history of my experience is the foundation for the opinion i thought it was relevant.

so, i guess ill let you geniuses go on thinking your chronos running will hurt your movement; ill let you think that such a thing as a gold wrapped rep exists; ill let go all the completely untrue [censored] that dealers tell you everyday that no one calls them on; and ill go on not saying anything to newbs who think member sales are retail; i wont lay out a few simple rulez to follow to figire out an ebay listing is a scam. those a few of the topics i weighed in on reguarding comments by members both newb and some that have been here a few years. and ill just keep to myself stuff to help out with taking photos of watches.

i apologize i tried to help. you dont need to read my threads or my posts, you dont have to respect my opinions and are free to post your own.

ps i have received several comments from old timers regarding my opinion about what i would consider misguided views. especially in relation to expectations. from dealers from other members and from reps in general.

i see no reason why I should be ridiculed. something i do not recall doing to anyone on this forum save 4. they know why.

i think the comments are inappropriate for newbs or especially senior members. frankly you should know better. as personal attacks are prohibited. i don't think i have ever seen someone picked at like this. even scammers have gotten treatment in line with a modest level of decorum.

i would ask if any of you had something relevant to add to the conversation? i was genuinely asking if what i understood to be correct was still the case. so i would not continue to post irrelevant info. but as it doesn't appear any of you are interested in a useful dialog i think the thread should just be dropped. i am very disappointed. i guess its possible that some of you misunderstood my "fun" threads as ridiculous self promotion. i can see that, you dont know me. and there was oddly little activity. but, i have always tried to toss out some fun. and so did many other members, but i guess thats the old days.

you guys are all welcome to sit around and critique quality control photos all you like. thats not why im here. thats not what this place was about up until the last time i was active.

Sent from my HTC Amaze 4G using Tapatalk

You lost me at mistyped.. ;)

Pho,

First- I was just agreeing with MMA, nothing more or less!

offshore, not sure what your deal is. i dont know why you didnt reply to my pm about disliking your product in that thread. i was only relating my experience with similar itemz. if i knew you were selling it (you said avail from china) i would have taken a closer look before commenting

Second, I never received a PM from you,(So I didn't reply :) ) However whether or not you approved or didn't, of anything I was involved in, it's not going to lose me any sleep.

Far be it for me to run around and tell anyone how to run their life, or advise anyone on a subject.

I will always answer a question if someone values my opinion, but I rarely stand at the altar and preach.

My grandmother used to say-

"A wise old owl sat in an oak,

The more he saw, the less he spoke,

The less he spoke, the more he heard,

So why not be like that wise old bird? "

Offshore

You got the reaction you deserved because your post doesn't read as anything helpful at all. Rather, it reads like a ball achingly painful monologue about how you're so old school and everyone else is a noob.

What's up with all the noob dissing btw? Did a noob steal your girlfriend or something?

MMA <-- championing noob rights (and saying what everyone else is thinking) since 2012.

"sounding" arrogant or other words is a problem of text based communications. Everyone hears the voice in their head read the text through the filter that they attach. I write in a very literal straight forward manner. I could care less what someone does with their money. But, if someone asks a reasonable question and has shown some effort to figure it out and not, hey who has the best sub Andrew? Thanks what's his website? Thanks here is the quality control photos is their anything wrong with the watch?

I'm not here to wipe anyone's ass. But, ask anyone I've helped. I go very far, share a stupid amount of information and time to help.

I like to help people. It's generally cost me. Usually cause I rocked the boat. I said in public what everyone told me in private is the issue but they didn't want to come forward. I'm not going to change, I haven't learned so far. Maybe I'll end up old and alone with my reps. But, i speak truth, I invite comment and dissent. This thread is titled phoband's rant. I titled it that. Is that an egomaniacal attempt to tell people how to live?

This is the most difficult way to communicate because there is no nuance. If my stuff is read as arrogant and misguided? Someone speak up, show me I'm wrong, I'll apologize and correct my error. Happy to, I fully admit I am not a watchmaker and don't pull movements apart themselves.

I gotta sleep.

You new guys - especially in the last year have skewed vision of reality. Eddie Lee used to say, waterproof? Maybe, you can run to your car in a light rain and a rep is a rep.

Nothing but a BS glib phrase...

While I have had a couple of watches which were not waterproof (one manufacturing flaw of a PAM 104 which was immediately replaced with a replacement which was waterproof, one DJ which has had extensive case mods which prevent the rear seal forming, and one DJ which again, fogs up, but as it's only ever worn on a leather strap no need to get it wet) with those exceptions, I have had no issues with any of my other reps being waterproof, including chrono watches (3 Daytonas, a PAM 187, and the Tudor Heritage) all have been worn while bathing, showering and swimming with no issue whatsoever. Perpetrating the myth that reps are not waterproof needs to stop. While it is adviseable to have a watch tested before subjecting it to an immersion, I must admit, that the odds have certainly worked out in my favor so far :pardon:

I think this guy is trying to beef up his resume for when God retires..

I'm sure people here are "experts" on a lot of the same things or more, however it's sad that you have to write pages of nonsense tooting your own horn. I think at the least you come off as a jack off.

It's nice to think you're better than everyone but, buddy, this is a replica watch forum, so I don't know who you're trying to impresses, but it doesn't look like any one is.

Perhaps you need to be an expert is Alcoholics Anonymous.

Oh my God, people... I don't think that Pho needs to beef his reputation up, nor it was his intent. Sure, the post didn't came out well, taken out of the context like that and maybe the phrasing is a bit harsh, but I'm pretty sure Pho meant well by posting.

As a newb/noob/n00b or whatever you call it, to the rep world I must agree with some of the points raised in the initial post. People do have some very unrealistic expectations from a rep watch. Obviously some reps are better than others, but as a rule of thumb I believe we do need to treat these watches with extra care. The materials, the assembly and the QC is not even close to the original watches and people expecting a 300$ watch to act as a 10000$ watch is not only unrealistic but also foolish. After all, almost always, you get what you pay for. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that was what Phoband was trying, maybe not so successfully, to say.

We all know that noobs come on here and yes most of them have unrealistic expectations.. Also you have a lot of them that come in, ask where to get a Rolex and you meet hear from them again. The one post wonders..

But to fill in a paragraph about noobs with the rest of an essay telling everyone how great you are and what an expert you are is ridiculous. Everyone was a noob at some point, so even though we all understand the whole noob situation on these replica forums, what does it have to do with trying to convince people you're an expert, or that you're super special. That's why it comes off douchey.. And then he seems like he doesn't know why people are replying to this thinking he's a [censored], and continues writing like a schizophrenic drunk on acid.

I see your point, sempire. Reading between the lines of Pho's initial post I think that maybe his knowledge of watches was disputed in the original thread (correct me if I'm wrong, phoband) and this is why he responded harshly and went on with his history in reps' world. Obviously phoband needed to shed some light on the original thread and not to repost as is...

Anyway, I don't even know why am I responding here... I don't actually give a damn :clown:

PS: "schizophrenic drunk on acid" - LOL. I have to use it sometimes! :1a: