When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A New Project? White Dial, White Bezel Insert, Ss Sub. :d

gioarmani

Before I get too deep into this, I will say for posterity's sake I am posting this looking for expert advice, tips, ideas, etc; anything you can offer. All right, here's the rough "sketch" I cooked up (newb @ Photoshop CS, btw):

141063-16964.jpg

To start, I found this tooling around on the bay:

141063-16965.jpg

First thought is I could easily pop the pearl out of this insert and put in a standard one. To get the body to come together I've got a couple extra ss bands & an extra swissexpert sub case (needs the crown tube replaced--outer threads got pinched together), an extra 2836-2, but it's on a black dial...

141063-16966.jpg

Hmmm...I guess the best place to start would be with the hardest. Would any one know how to create a white dial for a sub? Photoshop print on card-stock or glossy photo paper? Has anyone attempted this, or is it even possible?

I'm also wondering if a black datewheel with white print for a 2836-2 even exists--or if it's even available in the correct font.

And as for the hands & hour markers, I'm thinking regular size with the hands left lumed as-is & the hour markers painted-in black; maybe the larger ones (i.e LV Sub) would look too out of place that large in black.

A weak representation/prediction of the real thing, I know, but I think if it's done properly, it could truly turn out to be a fantastic piece.

Thoughts or suggestions?

And here's some alterations--let's see which is the most popular among you gentlemen.

White hands, black date:

141064-16960.jpg

Black hands, black date:

141064-16961.jpg

Black hands, white date:

141064-16962.jpg

White hands, white date:

141064-16963.jpg

I think I like the white hands with the white date. Tough choice though... you guys?

Hmmm...I guess the best place to start would be with the hardest. Would any one know how to create a white dial for a sub? Photoshop print on card-stock or glossy photo paper? Has anyone attempted this, or is it even possible?

Get the high-res picture and take it to your local photo shop and get them to output it on matt photo paper. Also, get several versions printed, all varied in size ever so slightly, just in case.

Well, LOL! gio, I have that watch! Only last month I popped the silver bezel off and put on a Yachtmaster silver bezel.

The white dial came on a sub from the Replica Factory a couple of years ago. Then I took it off the Replica Factory sub and put a maxi-dial on that sub. Six months ago I put the white dial on a CN case (C-omex) and put on an aftermarket tube and crown and the silver bezel insert from one of these guys on ebay.

It looked ok, but I just wasn't happy w/ the silver bezel insert on the ss case, so I swapped out for the Yachtmaster bezel insert. I'll see if I can post a pic tonite when I get home.

Cool--pics would be nice. The white on white dial with the powder-coated, black hands & white date is definitely my fav. I'm attempting to communicate with a few dealers/suppliers to see if they can take this dial...

141593-16821.jpg

...and simply print the Submariner info on it instead of the Explorer to make it like this:

141593-16822.jpg

post-175-1162257479_thumb.jpg

Here's the white sub with the Yachtmaster bezel insert.

Replica Factory is in Guangzhou, as is Paul (Wo-Mart), or in the burbs around there. I don't know where Angel and Jay are, but both A & J and Paul have been very helpful to me, and being in China, are close to the source, so to speak. This dial is white, with silver marker surrounds and white lume (poor lume quality) and nice printing. I have the standard sub hands on this watch (silver w/ white lume).

Nice, but could definitely use a little tweaking.

I have a couple of our dealers interested & seeing what they can do to duplicate this effort. I'll leave them un-named for now, but here's a quote that might enable them to realize there is demand for this piece:

Every dial print min is 100 pcs. Unless I am able to get at least 20 pcs of this complete watch order, it is really not worthwhile at my ends to make this watch.

I'm definitely in. Any takers? Please reply here or PM me. Even though it's a special order, I might even be able to do it for $199+shipping.

141658-16802.jpg