When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Interesting vintage piece with mysterious button

Jkay

So a co-worker who knows I like watches gives me this piece to look at. Certainly old .. perhaps a woman's lapel watch converted to the wristwatch.

It has an onion crown, a ceramic dial with silver inlay and something I am not certain of .. a button with guards next to the crown. It could be a safety to prevent changing the time unless it is depressed ... or ... something I have not heard of.

Opening the back, it's a solid top plate so you cant see a thing except that the hairspring is an exploded bird's nest. Metal "jewels" and "Swiss Made" stamped on the plate, and a series of silver marks and other marks on the case back interior

The Pictures:

post-22602-0-42324400-1327370203.jpg

post-22602-0-40934200-1327370209.jpg

post-22602-0-00347700-1327370216.jpg

post-22602-0-76683800-1327370222.jpg

post-22602-0-24512400-1327370229.jpg

Ok so thanks for all the comments so far. I had some time today to chase down the meanings of silver hallmarks ..

This watch is from 1918/1919, it was assayed in London, England .. it's importer used the assay office registered monogram "SP" and I do not know what the large G is for, yet ... perhaps the Swiss maker of the movement.

OK .. perhaps the final update. Now that I know the date of manufacture, some quick eBay'ing reveals this to be a classic WWI Officer's Trench Watch.

I wonder what marvelous stories it could tell .. brought back to the USA by a doughboy .. perhaps a memento of a lost British comrade ... whew!

• 3 weeks later...

If it was silver from london it would be marked with a Lion for Sterling Silver and a Leopards Head for London followed by a letter for the date mark.

The shield looks like the date mark for 1918 a 'gothic' lower case C in an inverted shield

Your Omega mark is for Silver imported into London

That Makers Mark isn't listed as a London maker as it is imported

That's why there is no Lion for Sterling SIlver and no Leopard for London

I

see here http://www.silvercol...rhallmarks.html

or here http://www.925-1000....tish_marks.html

Edited by captain swoop

Could be as it is a swiss movement but they were widely used.

It needs someone who knows what European makers marks are or who the London importers were in 1918.

I am guessing it is a watch imported by a wholesaler and then sold on by a jewellers. It will be the importer who got it marked with the date letter and the Omega London import mark.

I have found a London mark for SP associated with Imported Watches for 1912. It is S.P. not a plain SP and it is in a rounded shield not one with a raised top like on your example.

Unfortunately it doesn't say who used the mark just 'Imported Watch'

I have a feeling it is a foreign mark already on the watch when imported hence it being positioned apart from the other marks.

Edit to add.

Just did a bit of research. There can't be a Makers Mark added in London as it is imported. That mark will be Swiss.

All that can be put on in London is a date letter, silver 925 purity mark and the import mark.

Edited by captain swoop

I have found examples of imported Swiss Watches with a Swill Makers Mark and a London retailers mark so the mark on this watch is still up in the air.

Wrist Watches were just for ladies up until the war, men had pocket watches. Wrist watches became popular with Officers in the trenches but the only ones available in the UK were for ladies that's why they look quite delicate and 'feminine' After the war it was OK for men to wear a wristwatch as they were then associated with the brave war heroes. By the 1930s Wristwatches outsold pocket watches for men.