When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 16803 Submariner. Please look at this watch.

bruce79

Considering picking this up. Seller says dial, hands and bezel insert all replaced at service. Also says all are luminova (although dial is marked Swiss - T<25). I have hear of these before. But does anything jump out? I'm not too familiar with these models. Bezel has been polished and perhaps re-grooved. But check out the 493 end piece in the wrist shot. Gold looks funky. The seller seems honest and legit though...he's only had the piece a couple of years but says all is 100% genuine.

de859994.jpg

dba5c4da.jpg

7b79c060.jpg

b960ae9a.jpg

4483ae76.jpg

Unless the price really is a steal I would stay away. The lugs were re-brushed unprofessionally, the bezel looks to be really worn. I'd wonder if it can hold the bezel insert without glue after being cut down that much.

There is nothing that would suggest that it is not what the seller says but the parts that gave the 16803 its special appeal over the 16613 are already changed for modern replacements (dial / hands) and the rest does not look that good.

If it is significantly below $4k grab it and get a new bezel for a couple of hundreds. Otherwise I'd stay away.

The watch looks ok to me. Yes the bezel is a little unusual, but my 16800 ss is also somewhat like yours. Mine also has the service dial, Swiss- T<25 and luminova, glows at nite beautifully. The polish on the lugs is typical for RSC on a 30 yr old watch. If you like blue TTs, and the price is right, $5K or less, it's a good deal.

The watch looks ok to me. Yes the bezel is a little unusual, but my 16800 ss is also somewhat like yours. Mine also has the service dial, Swiss- T<25 and luminova, glows at nite beautifully. The polish on the lugs is typical for RSC on a 30 yr old watch. If you like blue TTs, and the price is right, $5K or less, it's a good deal.

Sorry, then one should avoid American RSCs. Those lugs are overly rounded and polished, don't show the right brush pattern and are far away from what you'd get from the German, British or Swiss RSC. I would never buy a watch with lugs like this as long as there are other examples available.

The bastard went ahead and sold after we had agreed on a price and I was prepared to send payment. Bummed. We had agreed $3300 shipped. Which consider the condition of the bezel was a decent deal. That bezel had been butchered by somebody attempting to re-establish the coin edge. But these 16803's routinely go for under $4k...at least the ones I've seen.