When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Planet Ocean 45mm damaged to franken the story so far

the_rymeister

try it on the rubber PO strap you have too, will look like a totally different watch yet again-always good to have options!

as for the gen bezel like i've said before-its cool to have but not really worth it...plus alot of people dont know that the gen bezels insert is built into the bezel-not like the rep version where its glued on. people have removed it carefully but then you have to file down the gen insert on the back side to sit flat, or you can bond the whole bezel assembly in place (as the gen bezel doesnt fit straight on-too wide at the retention spring compared to the rep case...). defo not worth the 200+ quid new price, which is in effect the price of another rep...

gotta say again though thats a superb franken UPO now :) and an excellant write up on the whole process-if anything this should be pinned as the info is invaluable to anybody wishing to attempt the same.

Cheers again buddy for the dial I was a bit unsure to start but now I am defo set on the coloured numbers being a nicer touch on the dial, it gives it another feature.....I love it. Regards to the rubber strap like you said it always good to have choices,it keeps the watches fresh :)

I agree to about the bezel i think I would rather put the money towards a nice 1680 build :) that's what I want to do next I think. Fancy a bit of vintage :)

It looks great Ryan, agree with you the gen bezels are ridiculously priced, not worth it unless you can pick one up 2nd hand.... They've gone up retail since last summer when they were about £170 back then in cousinsuk.

I can't even imagine what parts for the newest ceramic PO 8500 would be like if we got to the stage of a good base case for a franken.

It'd probably be 500 quid for a dial and 400 for the ceramic bezel. I think we are in the golden age of franken PO's :D ...the new one would probably be way too expensive to franken....it's all still speculation at this stage anyway.

Cheers cougar much appreciated. Your probably not far off on the prices of the ceramic po, is that the liquid metal version? That is one beautiful looking watch. The day a good rep of one of those comes out it will be straight on order :)

forget the gen bezel insert.. you need a gen crystal I opted for the gen crystal after the necessary tube and crown mod.. I'll be replacing dial and hands at some point.. Easiest and most affordable watch to mod with gen parts

Great write up!

-The other Ryan...

Your right buddy gen crystal would be a better investment but again it's quite an expense. I'll keep my eyes open for some second hand parts . Moneys all tied up in my new tc sub which I ordered last night :)

I have a similar project on the go, 42mm po, gen dial, hands, crown, tube, he valve and date wheel. Basically all it needs is a gen crystal and bezel and it's indistinguishable from a gen when on the wrist. I have to say ill try it without bezel and crystal but I know it will simply bug me knowing it doesn't look just quite perfect! Damn this hobby.

I may try a bk tw sub next, gen insert and crown and call it a day.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Indy I bought mine form josh but any of the td's have the same watch, they don't generally come with centered pearl hence fitting a gen insert to correct it. the standard upo 45 are still a fantastic out of the box rep I just got my gen parts fairly cheap and have enjoyed modding my watch :)