When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6263 BEZEL GEN OR NOT?

Guest oliviermenard92200

Just knowing the seller does not guarantee anything. The seller has to have a track record of selling 100% genuine Rolex parts for many years. A lot of well-known sellers have mistakenly sold aftermarket parts as genuine. Unless the bezel came in a sealed Rolex package directly from an AD (or Rolex), you can never be 100% certain. Post your bezel on VRF & see what they think.

VRF often ignores posts containing rep parts, which is what I think this is.

oliviemenard - you might want to add something like 'Can someone please help me out?' to your original post on VRF. No guarantee that will work, but if you still get no response, I would seriously question the authenticity of that bezel.

so why do you ask if it's gen for you anyway?

I have 2 gen bezels in front of me, trust me, your's is fake.

There are at least (!) four different versions of this bezel from various periods of time. They vary greatly in font thickness, execution and other departments. I have handled some of them and without comparison with another one from the same batch I highly doubt anyone is able to tell rep from gen. There is also the possibility that during a service or under other circumstances a gen 6263 bezel might have been exchanged for another non-screw down Daytona (they fit).

Without further evidence to support your claim I don't think it would be very wise to just "trust" you.

I also don't think I'm the only one starting to get tired of hearsay being labeled as the one and only truth when it comes to vintage Rolex parts. Let's face it, often not even Rolex themselves let alone many selfproclaimed expert collectors can definitely say what has been produced and/or used to service watches in the late 60s and 70s.

That being said, that bezel looks pretty good, but I have also seen very good aftermarket parts from some Italian sellers at watch shows before. If it fits enjoy your watch, I know I would with that one installed. Despite the newer version MKIV replacement bezels from RSC very few people on the internet will be able to definitely tell from pictures whether your bezel is indeed genuine.

on more recent MK1 the 4 tail on 140 is not connected, but the font is sharper (the "hour" is more evenly spaced as well) post-41517-0-47655500-1328092362.jpg

Based on the shapes of the '4' and '5', doesn't this one look more like a "post-production" bezel? I hesitate to say Mk3 or Mk4, as I agree with wiesn089: Pace the Mazzariol book, there are definitely more than 4 distinct versions of the black Daytona bezel.

For example: A rounded 'S' should indicate a service bezel, right? But I've seen examples with pointed '4's, and others without. Valerian's bezel tripped me up recently, due to the distance of the tachy marks to the inner rim. Turns out there's some variability in that respect, too, so that could mean 6 different sub-types of that bezel. And then there are the stainless steel bezels...

Just called my new watchsmith, (cool 70+ year old fella with eyes of a 20 year old) He thinks that at least 4 different versions of the bezel exist + 2 "service" versions that he knows of, but he's not 100% sure.

Disregard my MK1 remark, obviously it isn't.

Anyway out these: gen on the left, service on the right:

post-41517-0-05982400-1328101533.jpg