When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DIY lume tutorial

gmtlover

Hi guys,

I know that there are a few great modders on this forum, and I've seen some great mods

I am especially interested in learning to lume.

Does one of you know were I can find a great DIY lume tutorial.

With tips and tricks on how to get those sharp edges for instance, or what the best way is to remove old lume.

How to get the right color. etc etc.

I know it takes a lot of practice patience and probably up to a great to be able to do a good lume job on a watch, but that does not scare me off.

So all experienced lumers please chime in and share your knowledge.

Thanks!

I believe a good method, though tedious, is an oiler and a high power loupe. Lots of little dots equals high dpi and good look - that's for dials. Hands require a hardish small tube to slide along underside of hand. Consistency of lume is critical here. Practice makes...ok. Good genes/steady hands makes perfect.

The best tip the Zigmeister gave me for luming, is to practice on magazine covers to get used to curves, corners and angles :)

As for tools, I got one of the nylon 'ties' used to fix tags to clothing, cut it to a 2" length, and taped it to the blunt end of a pencil so it had about an inch hanging over the end of the pencil :)

The best tip the Zigmeister gave me for luming, is to practice on magazine covers to get used to curves, corners and angles :)

As for tools, I got one of the nylon 'ties' used to fix tags to clothing, cut it to a 2" length, and taped it to the blunt end of a pencil so it had about an inch hanging over the end of the pencil :)

Interesting, but how do you fill up the hands? with straight lines, not spilling

A tie is way to big for that not?

I read that here too, but you can't tell me that's very accurate.

Just hope someone like The Zigmeister for instance can give advice, warn for mistakes of made by noobs etc and how to avoid them of course

I would not expect The Zigmeister to show his secrets especially since he is the king of lump...;)

MM

I would not expect The Zigmeister to show his secrets especially since he is the king of lump... ;)

MM

I know he probably won't but maybe he wants to give a few tips, and especially what tools to use?

or which superluminova do I have to use to get the blue lume on my DSSD? I know chroma light is used by rolex, but is this available for noobs like me? Or are there perhaps other options?

unfortunately there isn't a topic yet here with a good tut.. funny because almost everything else is discussed here, that's what is great about this forum.

No guides yet unfortunately on this.

Interesting, but how do you fill up the hands? with straight lines, not spilling

A tie is way to big for that not?

When I say 'tie' I can't think of what you'd actually call the bit, but they're only about a millimeter thick, if that :) Hands're easiest of all :) First, use something like nail varnish remover to remove the existing lume, then just load the tip of your luming tool with a small bead of your lume material (in the past I've used Revell Night Color) and run the bead of paint along the back surface of the hand, and it'll settle perfectly :)

When I say 'tie' I can't think of what you'd actually call the bit, but they're only about a millimeter thick, if that :) Hands're easiest of all :) First, use something like nail varnish remover to remove the existing lume, then just load the tip of your luming tool with a small bead of your lume material (in the past I've used Revell Night Color) and run the bead of paint along the back surface of the hand, and it'll settle perfectly :)

Thnx for the advice, will give it a try!

on the site of tritec I found a lume application tool called zeller stylograph, is a tool like that available somewhere?

Would like to try that too..

And what lume do I need for a DSSD. Don't mind paying some money for it..

I will practice on magazines first like the Zigmeister said.

How can I remove the lume from the hands? some say just throw them in nail polish remover for a while.

Thnx for the advice, will give it a try!

on the site of tritec I found a lume application tool called zeller stylograph, is a tool like that available somewhere?

Would like to try that too..

And what lume do I need for a DSSD. Don't mind paying some money for it..

I will practice on magazines first like the Zigmeister said.

How can I remove the lume from the hands? some say just throw them in nail polish remover for a while.

No worries, glad to be of help :) Not sure where you might get a stylograph, maybe eBay? As for the lume forthe DSSD, I believe it's SuperLuminova, but I'm not 100% sure... As above, just put the hands in nail polish remover and let the solvent work it's magic :) Best to do that in a ventilated area if you want a steady hand for the reluming :lol:

I know he probably won't but maybe he wants to give a few tips, and especially what tools to use?

or which superluminova do I have to use to get the blue lume on my DSSD? I know chroma light is used by rolex, but is this available for noobs like me? Or are there perhaps other options?

unfortunately there isn't a topic yet here with a good tut.. funny because almost everything else is discussed here, that's what is great about this forum.

No guides yet unfortunately on this.

I agree, that would be nice..;)

MM

Sounds like some good advice bro...Im going to have to try that...thanks. :)

mike

That is the correct lume and it is sourced from Tritec, generaly you need to be registered as a bussiness to buy from them and it is not cheep, The reason why there is not a lume tutorial is that it is not something that you could gain alot from a tutorial, it requires different mixes for different textures, dial designs ect,

Buy a bergion lume set or somthing like that and try with that first before you spend €70 plus on some tritec

if you realy want some BGw9 pm me

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Oh right, I would be interested in finding out more on the process too.  It's an area of watches which fascinates me, and has since I was a kid.

Is it true that in old watches this lume was/is radio active?  Or is this a myth I was told many moons ago?