When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help buying a great OOTB Chronograph

Adeodatus

Hi there,

I'm looking for a good OOB chronograph to add to my small, microscopic even, collection. I'm looking for something that will not need any obvious mods and has a reliable movement.

Currently Ebel 1911 is high on my list , as well as the Radiomir 288K, which is almost the only Panerai I like (I'm not sure what I like about - the design or the fact that it's an accurate rep), but I'm seeking advise as to what is considered to be a good chronograph from the latest dealer's models range.

Any advise will be highly appreciated

There are some very good and accurate chronographs available. Most of my collection is made up from a7750 chrono movements.

Here are a few that come to mind. Tag Aqua 500...and IWC Cousteau diver. The Ebel is a fine choice btw.

Maybe you can give us a Idea about size and style...for example..we know you really dont care for Panerais.

Mike

post-19368-0-45296800-1328028758.jpg

post-19368-0-00286500-1328028822.jpg

I just orderd the 187...dont know if It's your style really.

I will look around for some dressy type chronographs and post some suggestions. Hopefully other members will do the same.

187 below.

The Cartier Santos is a very classy watch imho..the one below has the A7753 movement...as does the 187...no resessed DW. quite nice actually.

post-19368-0-73396900-1328031465.jpg

post-19368-0-71036700-1328032275.jpg

No problem Adeodatus..I think It's a good idea to avoid running secs @ 6 & 12... they have been known to be problematic.

Here's another classy watch you might like...the Flying B Is not cheep....but It is a outstanding replication.

This is on my 2012 list of must haves. I just love the big date @ the 12.....sweet watch.

Mike

post-19368-0-73001600-1328097341.jpg

Very accurate Rep, but also very flashy. Not my favorite. What about a Rolex Daytona? It has the secs @6, but with a bit of maintenance you should be fine for a year at least.

• 1 month later...

For dressy:

Carrera Chrono Racing (red seconds hour) or the Silver version

http://www.marvellou....php?ProId=1119

Thanks Kal, the Carrera does look nice. A really good option indeed, especially with the white dial. Reminds me of Ebel.

I'm actually going for the 288. It kinda grew on me and in any case I wanted one bulky watch. Tried it at the AD shop and liked it a lot. :)

let us know how the 288 goes, or how you find it from a comfort level wearing it, not a pam fan much here either, but that and one or two others I like.

Yeah I would've said IWC 3717, with a couple of mods it can look amazing but is great otb anyway. some others would be the 3714 or the Lange datograph is pretty sweet, also of course the ebel 1911 as you suggested. The cheap tudor heritage chrono is not bad at all either, and the tag carreras can be pretty good. The maxi marine is another good one. Ok i'll stop :D

Can't believe I forgot about the 3717. Definitely one of the best. It's not one of my favorites, from the design point of view, but it's so popular and very accurate. Thanks Andy.

let us know how the 288 goes, or how you find it from a comfort level wearing it, not a pam fan much here either, but that and one or two others I like.

Yeah I would've said IWC 3717, with a couple of mods it can look amazing but is great otb anyway. some others would be the 3714 or the Lange datograph is pretty sweet, also of course the ebel 1911 as you suggested. The cheap tudor heritage chrono is not bad at all either, and the tag carreras can be pretty good. The maxi marine is another good one. Ok i'll stop :D

Lange Datograph? Really? I'd definitely consider it. Wish I knew that before I ordered the 288.

Not much of a Panerai aficionado, so I'm not raising my hopes too high in respect of keeping it, but you never know and the watch I saw at AD's looked and felt wonderful. I just wish the rep would be of the same quality.

The Lange Datograph looks a seriously nice rep, even though the gen is 100K or so, there's bound to be some differences :D but still a lovely made rep! A few different versions available, steel casing and black dials etc, but I believe the rose gold version is probably the most striking!

Pics robbed from Silverspeed review over on the geek!

http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=113599

IMG_4781kopie.png

I don't think you will regret the 288 either, seems to exceptionally well done!

Some options based on the Seagull ST19 manual-wind column-wheel chronograph, often inaccurately described as a Lemania chronograph movement. It uses the original machinery used to build the Venus 175 movement.

IMG_0290.jpg

A. Lange & Sohne Datograph

DSC01316.jpg

Rolex Paul Newman Daytona

2.jpg

Patek Philiipe Moonphase chronograph

1.jpg

Vacheron Constantin Patrimony chronograph

Nice, Love the Patrimony Chrono! Is that getting harder to find these days or are they still readily available?

I've got a feeling they're a bit harder to find. Marvellous Replica used to have them, but it's currently listed at $8888 (was $218 before), so that might indicate that it's out of stock on their website.

The Lange Datograph looks a seriously nice rep, even though the gen is 100K or so, there's bound to be some differences :D but still a lovely made rep! A few different versions available, steel casing and black dials etc, but I believe the rose gold version is probably the most striking! Pics robbed from Silverspeed review over on the geek! http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=113599 IMG_4781kopie.png I don't think you will regret the 288 either, seems to exceptionally well done!

Wow, that's beautiful. I was trying not to buy another rep for a while. Thanks a lot Cougar!

• 3 weeks later...

I just got in a Lange Datograph. I would have to say it's a very, very nice rep.It comes on an Alligator grain strap that is quite nice. I have a genuine gator that's a little lighter brown that I'm going to put it on. haven't had a chance to get any photos, but will try tonight. So far accuracy is <5 sec. per 24 hours.Have no idea as to water resistance, but I wouldn't count on it being very tight! If you are looking for a nice dressy white dial chrono, I would give this one a look.