When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Radiomir California

Highflyingclive

I received a Radiomir "California" from Joshua recently. A watch full of surprises. Here are a few shots - taken quickly, so please excuse the lack of quality - my enthusiasm ran away with me.

Let's start with the obligatory wrist shot:

141435-16835.jpg

Here is the first surprise. This is a big watch - 47mm excluding crown. But it doesn't look, or feel, big. Well, not too big, anyway. Looks OK on my wrist, doesn't it?

Here is the next surprise. The domed acrylic crystal. Now... this is big! Wow!

141435-16836.jpg

I love the way that the big dome distorts the appearance of the hands. Dali - eat your heart out!

141435-16837.jpg

The crown is of course, completely wrong for the 1938 model - which had a Brevet crown. But it is exactly right for the yet-to-be-reissued special edition.

141435-16838.jpg

That isn't dirt in the crown. It is the remains of the blue protective film that I failed to remove. Hanging my head in shame...

There is probably an EEC regulation against movements looking as good as this...

141435-16839.jpg

The hands look black most of the time. But get the light falling right and they look just like blued steel. Perhaps they are.

141435-16840.jpg

All in all, an amazing watch. Keeping perfect time, looking great from any angle. I love it!

A vintage strap has been ordered from HK Tan. We are going to use old leather torn from the seats of an abandoned Chinese railway carriage. That should be just right for this amazing vintage watch.

Have fun!

Clive