When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWJG Show - Watch Wonderland

Donerix 2.0

This monday I was invited to the IWJG watch and diamond show at the Miami Hilton.

I thought it would be a nice little show with some vendors and I could maybe take a look at the one or other vintage piece, but when we were waiting 90 minutes in line to get in I got a feeling it was something a bit bigger.

Once we got our passes and walked in we looked at hundreds of stands filled with hundreds of watches of all brands imaginable. There must have been several hundred million dollars in watches in the ball room.

Making the rounds I got to see and handle all the watches I ever dreamed of.

Sorry, I was so watch-struck that I forgot to take more pics.

Here is a nice 6536 for $14k on my wrist:

Watchshow-2.jpg

All the big name dealers where there, Robert Maron, Matthew Bain, H.Q.Milton and Giulio Bonaccio from luxurywatchexchange just to name a few. And everybody was very accomodating and let you handle any watch you wanted.

I held some of the nicest vintage Submariners and Sea-Dwellers.

Got to play with some amazing PAMs like the 372, 341, 360 and 382.

Had a nice chat with Giulio Bonaccio who showed me his personal 6152 which was in perfect condition and some of his own Rad-style creations with original Rolex 618 movements. I showed him some of my straps I had brought along and he invited me to visit his store in NYC this week and I hope he might sell them in his store in the future.

I was wearing my DW Tudor MonteCarlo and while it was a great test to see how good our reps have become ( a Asian dealer offered me $10K, but of course I said that the watch wasn't for sale) it was also proof that there are people that really know their stuff: While wandering the isles we came across a little stand with an older gentleman sitting behind it. He had some very nice pieces in there (one tropical no crown sub was so nice I would have give a kidney for it and thrown in my left nut). We looked over the watches for a few minutes and I noticed that he kept looking at my watch. Then I saw that he had a gen Tudor Homeplate laying there as well and when I pointed it out to my friend the gentleman nicely said "this is a real one".... I was quite impressed that he could spot it without having the watch in his hands (especially after just having been offered serious money for it from a professional dealer). I was honest and complimented him on knowing his stuff>

When we walked away I read the sign on the front of his stand: JAMES DOWLING - a real authority on vintage Rolex watches.

Al in all in was a true trip to the watch holy land for me and I would guess that the majority off all vintage watches that are currently for sale (at least in the US) and not in private collections where present that day in one room. I think this is also why the prices are controlled the way they are.

The best $26 I have spent in a long time:

Miamiwatchshow2-2.jpg

I hope you enjoyed it and again sorry for not taking more pics...