When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

In Need Of Advice For Safe Payment Methods

the collector

Guys, i am in great need of your advice.

I Purchased a watch o ebay, the seller has 1400 feedback, almost all is positive (99.2%).

The feedback is kept private & all the items for sale have private bidding...

The amount is around 500USD

The seller does not accept paypal, he only accept money order or personal cheque...

I spoke to Western Union and they strongly advised me against sending money to the seller through Western Union due to fraud risk...

What should i do? Is there any safe way to send a money order?

I am very thankfull for all your advice....

If a guy has been doing business for as long as he claims and to not accept paypal, I would be leery.

If a guy has been doing business for as long as he claims and to not accept paypal, I would be leery.

I did not notice that he did not accept paypal when i bid for the item yesterday. I sent him a request for the total and when i was going to pay him today i noticed that he does not accapet paypal, i think this is quite iffy since the seller has been a member since sept 2003 and has sold almost 1400 items....

Edited by the collector

That's if the person selling that is the same person who sold the previous items.

It's quite possible you are viewing a listing on a hacked account.

Without knowing the item number, or ebay members name and previous history, it's not possible to answer your question with any confidence.

Generally, I would be wary of sellers who only want wire payments or the like.

No Paypal, private auctions, hidden bidders... $500... what did you buy?

It's possible he is legit, but it's hard to sell that much volume at those prices with no paypal.

You could try doing a bank wire, which at least ensures the recieving party has a bank account for what that's worth.

MO and WU are very hard to get your money back on if you get scammed.

Is it international? If it's in the same country things might be a little easier, maybe if it's somewhat close offer to deliver or have someone else deliver payment in person.

More info might make it easier to get better info but sounds iffy to me...

Edited by Devedander

What I do in these situations is I ask the seller to place a pieces of paper with the item listing my name and the date. Place the paper with the item and take a pic and e-mail me the pic.

If he is willing to do this, you have a 99% chance of getting the item.

At least then you know the item exists.

Smack

Remember that the new ebay rules state no seller is allowed to accept, or solicit payment via Cash, or Wire Transfer.

Although this may only affect UK-based seller!

Again, it's difficult to give a good answer without knowing more.

If you send a money order or a cheque and it turns out to be a scam, you have no way to get your money back.

Unless you really, really want the item and can't live without it.. pass on it.

You made an error by not noticing the "No PayPal" policy, so you should explain that to the seller, and tell him that you will agree to complete the mutual agreement not to complete transaction, so that he can claim back his selling fees.

Definitely a difficult situation.

Seller has 4 negs in last month only. Check the feedback they left for others. For a high volume seller....they don't bother to offer much positive. :thumbdown:

Seems to only get involved when someone posts a negative or neutral. All items private?!? I can't really understand the reason behind that.....

Does not accept PayPal? :thumbdown:

Many things about this seller send up red flags for me.....but that's me....

I'd say you should think about how badly you really....really want this item. :g:

Escrow might be the only way that both parties feel safe.

Did you read the listing? He makes it quite clear that he does not accept paypal. By bidding and winning that auction you have entered into a contractual agreement with the seller. You are obligated to pay him in the manner that he lists on the auction.

Payment must be received within 10 days after auction has ended. WE ACCEPT MONEY ORDERS & CHECKS! (7 days to clear) (Sorry Pay Pal is not accepted) Attention overseas buyers: International money order in U.S. funds Only~

Payment

I accept the following forms of payment:

Money Order

Personal Check

I am guessing this is the item in question.

By bidding on his item, you agreed to use his payment methods. None of those methods are safe for you. But they are very safe for him. If you refuse to pay, the seller can file a complaint with ebay calling you a non paying bidder. Ebay can close your ebay account for this type of activity.

I hope you and the seller can come to a mutual agreement.

Robert

While I am still leery (4 neg and 9 withdrawn) he does seem to have numerous items finishing in the high hundreds and all his auctions seem to be no paypal... if he was scamming people left and right his feedback would likely be very bad by now.

I would ask for the item pictured with handwritten note and maybe a phone number to call directly (makes me feel more secure) but it doesn't bear most of the signs of the obvious scams (hacked accounts etc).

However in all fairness you did bid and accept his agreements (whether you noticed or not) so you would be in the wrong to not pay unless something glaring stands out... hopefully all goes well but either way maybe make it a lesson that in the future buying anything expensive you spend time carefully reading everything.

Edited by Devedander

I would not worry with this seller. They have 6 positive feedbacks from today alone. The negative feedbacks look like [censored]. They also have over 100 items still for sale, all antiques. These don't look like the normal items that are conducive to fraud. All auctions state check or money order. I know many sellers hate paypal because of their screwed up policies.

I would not worry with this seller. They have 6 positive feedbacks from today alone. The negative feedbacks look like [censored]. They also have over 100 items still for sale, all antiques. These don't look like the normal items that are conducive to fraud. All auctions state check or money order. I know many sellers hate paypal because of their screwed up policies.

I agree. It looks fine to me. I have had many transactions on ebay and with PayPal, sellers don't like to use PayPal because of the high fees. I bought a watch from a member here and had to bank wire. If you are going to question every purchase, go to the store or a flea market.

Could be got turned over by Paypal and doesn't accept it now....doesn't look like a hacked account either.....they're usually quick and dirty....!

He's holding the chronograph upside down in firts 2x fotys.....that tells me he knows nothing about watches.....:lol:

All items private?!? I can't really understand the reason behind that.....

@elwopo, There are good reasons for keeping the bidding private, including the rampant "Second Chance Offer" scams.

Last spring, I sold a Daytona 6239 package, and I did not keep the IDs private. A couple of months after the auction, I was contacted by a bidder from Italy, who wanted to know where his kit was...It turned out that he had fallen victim to some woman from Chicago, who had made a fraudulent Second Chance Offer, and taken the guy for $1200.

I now keep my selling auctions private, to protect the bidders.

The Valjoux movement in this watch is a real beauty, i bought one few weeks ago, and the price is unbeatable as the guy does not seem to know much about the watch. I really want the watch and i want to pay for it, but not sure how... I have never used escrow could you guys explain how it works, and how much the fees are? Thanks.

I emailed hime a couple hours ago and asked him why he does not accept paypal, i offered to pay the 4% paypal fees on top of the ending price.

I also asked which payment method the seller recoomends, i have not got a reply yet, but lets see hopefully the seller will reply soon.

It's probably very safe.

If you pay with an international postal money order then US Postal Inspectors will become involved at your request if you are defrauded. They have about as much power as the FBI and no scammer EVER wants them sniffing and pissing around their front door.