When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Mare ! No Mare ..... I want a Mare

StormTooper4

Buggar I thought we might be in luck for an 006/007/007

panerai_mare_nostrum_collection.jpg

Apparently

"The Pre-A Mare Nostrum.

Somewhere in between those 1000 watches came a little less than 400 OP 6501 42 millimeter PAM 006, 007 and 008 Mare Nostrum chronograph watches. When Vendome took-over, 398 Mare Nostrum had been lying unsold in the vaults of the old company. These were altered and re-sold as the Vendome Mare Nostrum and were given a new dial, a new bezel, a new case back and a new strap and buckle. They came, however, in the original pre-Vendome mahogany, and later burl wood box.

Its believed that Mare Nostrums should be considered pre-A too which, by the way, makes life a lot easier. Like its pre-A Luminor and Luminor Marina sisters, the Vendome Mare Nostrum has a T-SWISS-T dial. Unlike the 44 pre-A's, however, this specific dial does not at all resemble the pre-Vendome 5218-301/A Mare Nostrum dial. The Vendome dial lay-out is completely different from the older, slate blue design and came in three colours. The blue dialed PAM 006, the white dialed PAM 007 and the black dialed PAM 008, produced only in 1997."

95857501.jpg

5218-301/A

1924385gross.jpg

Or The Slytech version

mns.jpg

Then I found this and I though YES its here albeit in elcheapo form

At first glance at this http://www.silix-pri...f37812fmo30p800

I thought ok its got its issues but I dont care , I need a mare Chrono I can wear

Alas it is the same 52mm nonsense as the 300

pan081_01.jpg

It looks smaller though , what do you think ?

Factories please make a 42mm Mare Chrono,

Whose with me????

I have lusted after a 42mm Mare chrono for years. Ten or so years ago, I had one available for sale in my hand thinking, "Nah. I like the big ones better." Oh, how I kick myself today.

I would be an easy case to make. There's really nothing particularly unique about it. The case plans are all readily available online. The dial is no more or less complex than any other dial and the movements used in the gen are easily obtainable.

Alas, it will probably never be made. :(

What I am not getting is the 52mm 300 is a blank bezel Where$(KGrHqZ,!jYE8EbHIjjgBPM1Kzv(Uw~~60_3.JPG

Where as Silix has a marked version

pan081.jpg

Also there is no 3 or 9 on the dial , that's what is making me think its smaller overall

if they get the Movement description so wrong then they may have got the sizes wrong?

Dimension: 52mm x 65mm x 15.5mm

Movement: Asian 6497 hand wind movement

SO who is willing to take a punt on one for the team?

I (6.5" wrists) would love a 42mm version, very handsome watch.

Sadly the factories are too busy pumping out base models ad nauseum.