When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex case tube tool

Ephry73

Anyone in NYC or nearby areas with this tool set for me to borrow for the weekend? The tube on my Tudor just broke(stupid old beds at the hospital) and I need to replace it. I twas thinking of molding the tool with clay and then use JB weld and ferrous powder to make a set. Thanks in advance.

E

I have used a triangular file or a good fitting screwdriver in the past, when I didn't have the right tool. You can heat the case to soften up the sealant and sometimes those rascals will come right out.

To re-install I use the same tool, then I screw the crown onto the tube, and tighten that way. That compresses the o-ring inside the crown, then runs the crown (and tube) right down until the crown bottoms out against the case, or the tube bottoms in its threads. So far no complaints with that technique.

Thanks Nanuq. I have tried the file route but don't want to damage the teeth. Needless to say I'm MAD that this happened. The watch had turned out exactly how I wanted it. LOL

I have to not only heat the case(OCD me used epoxy to seal it) but carefully tap the tail out of the case.

Now in the search for another Gen tube.

E

If you have a set of screw extractors, 'easy-outs' the small one will take out the broken tube safely. Harbor Freight has them http://www.harborfreight.com/12-piece-screw-extractor-set-40349.html as do hardware stores and auto parts stores, under $10.

If the tube was epoxied in try heating the screw extractor, get it good and hot - it is hardened steel, and melt the epoxy by putting the heated screw extractor in the tube hole a few seconds and then start unscrewing it. Much better than heating the case, and more precise with the heat.

Just a thought, but if you use the crown as a depth guide when you seat the tube, what happens when the crown gasket starts to age and compress .. haven't you taken away the ability to screw down the crown further, compensating for the flattening gasket?

Just a thought, but if you use the crown as a depth guide when you seat the tube, what happens when the crown gasket starts to age and compress .. haven't you taken away the ability to screw down the crown further, compensating for the flattening gasket?

Very good point. That occurred to me as I installed my first one that way, and my immediate response as I screwed the tube in, was to "go big, or go home". So I quickly screwed it down TIGHT, then just as quickly backed the crown off. Then I waited for the sealant on the tube threads to set up tight.

That was 2 years ago, and since then I've been careful not to overtighten the gen Triplock crown I used to install the tube. I screw it down and feel the gasket compress, and it juuuuust bottoms out as the gasket gets smashed. Then I don't go any tighter. It hasn't gotten looser over 2 years and I swim with it every week. So far so good.

I suppose some day the gasket will get smooshed and I won't feel it compress like this any more. Then, I'll just pull the stem, pick out the old gasket from the crown and put in another. I've got a little envelope full of the little rascals.