When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Late Model Explorer with a Retro Twist

jmb

The parts-box builds continue as I continue my rehab! ;) My latest "victim" is one of the newer Explorer dials I had laying around. I kept digging and came up with an a21j that I had lost some sort of spring associated with the date wheel so the rest of the date guts came out and I had an engine. I then pulled out a 2836 DJ case with smooth bezel and popped off the cyclops. I had ordered a few sets of silver Sub hands a while back but had never really looked at them and I discovered they are the "Maxi" hands so I figured it would be way cool so those went into the pile.

I finally had everything sorted out and the assembly went off without a hitch and I started scrounging for a bracelet. I discovered I had no Brushed Oyster bracelets and the only 20mm bands I had were Sub, Tudor, or Riveted. I decided that a rivet would give it kind of a cool retro looks so stuck it on. The more I looked at it the more I liked it so I was pretty happy and decided to call it a day. It was dark by the time I locked up the shop and just as soon as I turned the lights out I realized the hands I put on were glowing a really nice shade of blue while the dial was the usual green. I stared at it for a while and decided that it actually looked rather slick so I decided to leave 'em on.

Here's my Retro Explorer:

post-24124-0-31102500-1329598653.jpg

post-24124-0-33896400-1329598665.jpg

post-24124-0-12522700-1329598679.jpg

Duke - If you are just going for "the look" then I think these (at around $30) are a bargain. If you expect every little detail, stamping, number, etc. to be correct then you will be sorely disappointed. The links are solid, they are a tad thick, and the end-links are the ubiquitous 455b jobbers that seem to come with most reps. A big plus is they have screw in adjustment links instead of having to disassemble links to re-size.