When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Case tube threaded on the outside?

Lovecraft

I noticed that my 42mm PO's tube is threaded on the outside, while pretty much all the pictures I've found of the tube switch process looks to be threaded on the inside (like the gen tube I got from cousins). My tube looks thicker and threaded on the outside - does it make a difference? Will it be harder to remove or will it leave a larger hole in the case? Is it a 42mm thing? I haven't seen anything about it really...

threaded.jpgt

This is my case and my stem, in the picture above.

post-40133-0-56244200-1327775118.jpg

That's Rymeister's stem before he removed it on his 45mm PO.

Tried with pliers yesterday, but all I managed was a small nag in the case, despite being careful. I hope I can remove it. Either way, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to use pliers to remove the tube. I'm going to file a little in an X-sign to make traction for a screwdriver, clamp it, and then simply try to unscrew it. If that doesn't work I will clamp it properly to a work table and drill it away. I have to wait until I get my small screwdrivers though (taking their merry time on route from Hong Kong...) - don't want to do any screwing or drilling with the movement still in place. :p

I had the same dilemma when I was trying to remove my tube from the cas, when I got to the point where the tube was crushed and there is no way out I used a small screw driver as I didn't have a chisel or punch small enough and knocked it out from the inside of the case, came straight out with about 2 swift taps with the hammer I got in the watch tool kit :)

You've probably less likely to damage the case by knocking it out rather than using pliers :)

Used a file to make a notch in the outer part of the case tube. I then unscrewed it with a screwdriver - it loosened easily. The inner part of the tube is slightly larger than the gen, and the threads are different so I will still have to epoxy it. The extra threads should give it decent retention.

(sorry for the poor picture quality)

screw.jpg

• 1 month later...

any news on the install? Im about to do the install this weekend and have all the parts ready..

Yes, it went really well. I used JB Marine Weld and a small vice. It really was quite simple. Just think through the procedure before hand and take it slow. Make sure to leave it be until the epoxy is firmly hardened.

• Like 1

shenns, there's loads of threads about the mod on the forum and guides aswell, covering all the trials and tribulations of those who done it and any potential problems along the way. The search function is your friend ;) just lookup 'tube swap', 'tube crown' etc, don't even have to put in PO, most of the tube/crown swaps have been for the PO and it's the same process for 5th gen as it was for 4th gen etc. If you run into any hiccups let us know, good luck with the mod! Patience is the key, deep breaths etc, if you find yourself gritting your teeth, leave it for a half hour and approach it again :D

Right I'll go now :D

shenns, there's loads of threads about the mod on the forum and guides aswell, covering all the trials and tribulations of those who done it and any potential problems along the way. The search function is your friend ;) just lookup 'tube swap', 'tube crown' etc, don't even have to put in PO, most of the tube/crown swaps have been for the PO and it's the same process for 5th gen as it was for 4th gen etc. If you run into any hiccups let us know, good luck with the mod! Patience is the key, deep breaths etc, if you find yourself gritting your teeth, leave it for a half hour and approach it again :D

Right I'll go now :D

Thanks for the tip. First time opening a case back so i have my fingers crossed.

Lovecraft, did you have any issues with the stem length or did the old one fit? I have the Asian 2824 will be using that most likely.

My old one was slightly off, but I think it was the wrong length from the start. I got some new ones and cut one to be the correct length. If your current stem seems to be the right length you probably don't have to modify it. Don't take my word for it though, it might differ a bit - just take your time and try it out.