When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Daytona

vlydog

Not sure if I understand your question, B. Are you asking if all of the Daytona dials capable of changing color? If so...

The browning effect seems to occur more often on dials before the mid-1970s--and that includes all colors and types, whether standard or exotic. It's less common on the later dials, but I've seen at least one example of a "Big Red" silver dial with registers that were starting to look toasty. I think the service dials are immune to tropicalization, but maybe we should wait a few more years...

Are you planning a build with a genuine tropical dial, or a simulated one?

Not sure if I understand your question, B. Are you asking if all of the Daytona dials capable of changing color? If so...

The browning effect seems to occur more often on dials before the mid-1970s--and that includes all colors and types, whether standard or exotic. It's less common on the later dials, but I've seen at least one example of a "Big Red" silver dial with registers that were starting to look toasty. I think the service dials are immune to tropicalization, but maybe we should wait a few more years...

Are you planning a build with a genuine tropical dial, or a simulated one?

Hoping for a gen dial but still in the information gathering stage.

I believe it was available as as option on all hand-wind 62xx Daytona models with the exception of gold 6269s & 6270s.

Thank you!

If by "tropical" you wanted to say classic silver / black dial (or non-PN / diamonds / etc), I agree with freddy333 :)

You can add all the pre-6239 versions too (6234, 6236, 6238), also, who have not really a "tropical" dial

In SS (the easiest way to make a franken), you have to choose between :

6239, 6240, 6241, 6262, 6263, 6264, 6265

It's funny to see that "tropical" may be understood in two different ways !

I believe it was available as as option on all hand-wind 62xx Daytona models with the exception of gold 6269s & 6270s.

I was thinking more along the lines of what LHOOQ said, where it was a color change brought on by the deterioration of the paint in the earlier dials. Kind of like the early Sub dials that changed from black to chocolate like the early 1680 red subs.

It's funny to see that "tropical" may be understood in two different ways !

In the context of describing dials, the only usage of "tropical" I'm aware of is in reference to discoloration. I thought the the black/silver dials with batons were called "standard" dials. If I'm wrong, then what would you call a Paul Newman exotic dial with brown registers?

B: If you want a real challenge, try building a 6240! Find someone to make those pushers, and I'll split the cost with you for a set of my own. :)