When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

HOW TO: A VERY VERY simple and quick Pearl Mod for Noob Sub

justlounging

Not too sure if this is the correct section to post..but Mods, if you think it should belong elsewhere, please go ahead and move it..Thanks! :)

p1050702.jpg

Just recently modded my Noobmariner (thanks Narikka!) and thought I'll post up this simple mod for all members who want to improve the appearance of their Noob Subs..

This tutorial covers only the modding of the pearl..The rest of the other mods have been mentioned and can be found in the beginning of my pictorial review:http://www.rwg.cc/to...ck-from-narikaa

I did some research and found from members' inputs that certain types of clear epoxy turn yellow after a year or so. Thing is once the epoxy is cured, it will be very difficult to remove and apply another layer to the existing pearl.

Only solutions are to (i) pop the pearl out and change to a WM pearl or any other pearl available in the market OR (ii) live with the yellowed pearl.

I can't recall exactly where I saw the tutorial that used GS Hypo Cement as a lume binder but it struck me whilst modding my Noob that it could act as a 'fix' for the pearl..

I mean, GS Hypo cement cures crystal clear and is used for model cars and on clear plastic parts. "This could actually work out pretty well!", I thought out loud. :rolleyes:

So to put theory to the test, I went ahead and did the mod..First few times were quite bad but as my hands got steadier and I got a better feel of how much 'glue' to use, the pearl got a much better shape and clarity..

This is one of the first few attempts..see that the pearl is slightly deformed and 'glue' spilling over onto the metal rims of the 'cup'..

p1050672tu.jpg

p1050664g.jpg

Then it became better..

p1050678.jpg

p1050675ny.jpg

And now this is what is on my Noob Sub..

p1050700j.jpg

p1050707.jpg

p1050706b.jpg

Ok back to the tutorial, first we start off with the necessary tools; Some inserts, a 3x Magnifier, a LED torchlight, GS Hypo Cement, Paper..

p1050680j.jpg

I like using GS Hypo Cement mainly because of the fine applicator tip..it is fine enough to fill the pearl..Another plus point is that GS Hypo cleans off easily using rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover (light acetone) with no marks remaining on the surface..

And an entire tube should last you for like ever and ever.. :p

p1050684n.jpg

p1050685h.jpg

GS Hypo cement becomes sticky in about 10-15mins after application and will partially cure within the hour..Best results will be seen only after 24hours..

The pictures below will give you an idea of what needs to be done:

1. Let some of the 'cement' form at the tip of the applicator, like a water droplet..

p1050686p.jpg

2. Make sure to do some 'practice runs' before actually applying to the pearl/insert

p1050688.jpg

p1050689h.jpg

p1050690f.jpg

3. This is where the LED torchlight becomes handy (Mine comes with both White and UV LEDs)..Shine onto the pearl and make sure that there is no dust particles on it..Some Rodico putty or a Dust blower can be used here..

p1050691p.jpg

p1050692.jpg

Ensure you are comfortable applying the 'cement'..This shows the 'cement' after it has been applied to the pearl/insert..you can see that it is sitting quite high..once the 'glue' cures, it will sit a lot lower..

p1050693g.jpg

p1050699v.jpg

I use the UV LED to shine onto the pearl to see if I covered the entire pearl..

p1050695.jpg

One more check in natural lighting..All looks good..

p1050696i.jpg

Now we just sit, wait and let the 'glue' cure and dry..

MOD DONE!

Did I mention that this was REALLY simple? :D

Word of Caution:

You do NOT want this to happen to the pearl..As shown in the pics below, there are 2 small air bubbles trapped in the 'cement'..this is unsightly and will have to be removed..

p1050708qz.jpg

p1050709z.jpg

"How to?", you ask..well very very simple..find a needle or pin and lightly poke at it..

p1050710k.jpg

p1050711yr.jpg

p1050712he.jpg

The dried 'cement' should come off very easily like a clear 'film' and no sticky residue..

Once removed, repeat the above steps again until u achieve the "Pearl of your dreams".. :lol:

To end off this tutorial, here's a lume shot of the modded pearl..

p1050674s.jpg

Go nuts on this..and oh, any feedback/comments will be much appreciated.. :cowboy: