When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sell a gen to buy a few reps?

miracle

I have a genuine, if unremarkable, Tag Heuer 4000 series from the late 90s I have worn all of three times. It was a gift, and as such I am somewhat reluctant to sell it, but given that I've never liked it is there much point hanging onto something for it to sit in a drawer for another 10 years?

ah well you better keep it then. i would not sell a present from my parents.

I feel crap about it; I was so disappointed when I first saw it.  It's midsize too, urgh!In some ways it may be good to get rid of it as it is a token of a life I now longer lead... on the other hand, there's all that stuff.

Edited by miracle

If you don't wear it and don't even like it, than I would sell it, even if it's a present. They gave you a present for you to enjoy, and thats exactly what you got to do. However, I wouldn't sell it for reps. With the money you can buy a pre owned gen that you like, that way you can even trade it for another gen.

That way, the present would still be remembered, and would be even better, since you're going to enjoy it much more.

Realistically, how much would you get from selling the watch? Probably less than $1000. Do you really need the money? It's one thing to sell the watch for something truly significant, say for your own child, but I wouldn't sell a gift for such a significant event as your 21st birthday just for a few replicas.

I'd say sell it, and put the money toward something you want and will actually like, that way, said item would still have been paid for by the present, so can still have meaning :) A while back I was very generously gifted a watch with the express instructions that it was my property, and that I could keep, sell or trade it as I either saw fit or necessity dictated. It didn't get much wrist time, but after a while, the opportuniy came up where I was able to use it to trade for a watch which does see a lot of wrist time, and which still carries the sentimental value and meaning of the original gifted watch :) If you can sell it and get something you will like, then go for it :good::drinks: