When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

TC Sub with Clarks Crystal, 2.7mm Gasket, home made crystal press

cib0rgman

I've installed several different combinations of Clark crystal with various gaskets. The Clark crystal with Clark's 2.5mm is like the stock TC height (too short). The Clark with 2.7mm is a bit better but still not at the same height as gen. The Clark with 3.0mm is pretty much spot on with the gen crystal and gen gasket. I also have a TC with gen crystal and the TC crystal gasket but this is a bit too tall. The best combo is either Clark with TC gasket, or a 3.0mm.

Here are some picture of a TC with Clark crystal on TC gasket:

2bFN1.jpg

QkSuM.jpg

EGIko.jpg

I asked the Clark seller on ebay about the crystal height (1.8mm vs 2.0mm). He says that with the supplied 3.0mm gasket, the combined height is exactly the same as a gen 295-c2 with gen gasket. This is because the groove on the Clark crystal is 0.2mm higher so when combined with the gasket it creates the exact height as gen. He also says that in 1-2 months time, a 1.8mm thickness version will be released.

Edited by coolchu001

Nice height coolchu. How's the date magnification at this level?

Looks spot on with gen (26):

0LOgQ.png

It looks good. I'm hoping my gen with 2.7 cousins gasket looks ok. How does the Clark crystal compare with gen in terms of overall appearance ?

left has gen crystal and insert; right has clark crystal and insert

vmZ4V.jpg

Looks very close in front view. Upon closer examination, the gen crystal's top is has a slight curve to the beveled edge.

Does the insert make a difference to crystal height? Rep or gen?

Yes it does, the stock TC insert is a bit taller than the gen insert so it makes the crystal appear a bit shorter.

Edited by coolchu001

Thanks, did you have any issue getting the retaining ring back on over the gen crystal and gasket?

Yes it was much more difficult than putting stock components onto the watch. I actually had issue using a case press since it would never evenly press the retainer in place. I ended up using a case die along with a block of wood and and gentle swings of a hammer. However, it was easier on my first TC watch, so I would say this may also be due to the manufacturing tolerances.

I've read most of the posts related to the TC sub. I'm still a bit confused. Is TC offering a finished sub ala BK? If so where can I find his sales thread? What's the price of a finished TC sub?

Look at the Parts section. He has released a parts thread for sale in most of the forums including here. If you want a whole sub just email him.

I really like that he offers a case without rehaut engravings or bezel insert. This watch is built to accept gen insert so for a really accurate Franken sub this is the way to go.

I've spent some time in a hardware shop today and should be installing the retaining ring tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed it goes smoothly!

Hopefully my only worry will be whether to go for a gen dial at some point.

I used a method very similar to yours Steve!

I don't have a vice but used a g clamp Like cib0rgman, with a nylon die behind the watch, then used a section of plumbing adapter, filed wider to sit over the retaining ring then gently tightened the clamp, winding back and rotating as necessary.

Thanks for your help.

Only problem was after the first time I did it a white spec appeared on the dial out of nowhere and I had to remove it and do it all again! Joy.

Nice one Matt glad you got there in the end buddy. I've got my 2nd gen insert on its way :) but this time I'm not touching it!

Nice job buddy :)

Cheers Ryan,

The insert is quite easy compared to that retaining ring!

If you start at the pearl end and work your way down so the last part to push in is to 30 marker it won't break. If that pressure was applied near the pearl I could see how that part of the insert may have snapped.

How does my date mag and crystal height look?

• 5 months later...

Stupid question regarding the 16610/16800 crystal retainer, how far down does one press it in? On the older cases not all the way down, same method?

E

I press mine all the way down and no issues there, the ring has a lip that keeps the bezel away from the case