When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Met the real watch expert again tonight!

browngo1

Ok, so I've been wearing my new Graham Chronofighter all weekend, as you do.

So I'm in my local having a few beers when the guy who reckons he is a watch collector (but hadn't heard of Breitling) comes in. After a few minutes he spots my Graham and blurts out "Jesus Christ, what size of watch is that?"

I said it's a Graham, to which he replied "I collect watches, but I've never heard of them. Is that Japanese?"

I know it's bad, but I'm tired of talking to this guy, who thinks he's a watch collector and buys nearly all of his [censored] from car boot sales or peddlers when he's on holiday in Turkey, so I didn't feel inclined to get into a conversation about high-end reps.

I said "No it's Swiss" and asked him if he had any nice pieces in his collection. He said, "Yeah, I've got a couple of Ingersolls and a few See-Ko's and I've got a German one that I can't remember the name of. I don't have a Rolex because I can't afford one although I know you can get the basic one for about a grand. What have you got?"

I said, I've got two Rolex, two Breitling, an Ebel Discovery, a Patek Aquanaut and a Panerai, as well as my Graham.

He replied, "I've never heard of any of them apart from the Rolex, but there's thousands of watches out there."

We must be doing something wrong! :g: