When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

is this a gen eta 2824-2 or an asian clone...

bamcky2k

hey guys, could someone tell me if this is a gen eta 2824-2 movement or a clone? i've compared it to pics on here and google, and it looks gen to me...has all the eta stamps, 2824-2 and another mark i cant quite make out. the font on the rotor is also a little different to another i have.

hope you can tell from the pics, best i can take on my phone!

thanks in advance!

post-40880-0-35871500-1330941852.jpg

post-40880-0-56382900-1330941874.jpg

cheers gran, i thought so too...compared it to pics on google images and everything checks out, plus side by side to another i have (which is definatley an asian clone) it does look different-crisper and more refined...the feel is different when winding it too, very smooth. i bought it as a clone movement, so if it is gen eta ive had a good buy...

I'm not so sure. Looks ETA, but could be a Hangzhou. It's definitely not a Seagull. Closups on the balance wheel shape, a macro on the ETA logo and a close up from the other side of the movement will reveal which is it.

Personally I actually think it could be Hangzhou because of these parts, but don't take my word for it:

post-41517-0-08890100-1330947859.png

Edited by Adeodatus

heres about as close as i can get on the logo, been looking on google images and it looks identical to some marked as swiss eta 2824-2 but different to others...it does look different to an asian 2824-2 i have though, font is different on the rotor...

post-40880-0-81853900-1330950228.jpg

post-40880-0-02515200-1330950403.jpg

Hmmm... Very hard to tell, because the images are so grainy. I guess you can not take a better pic or to show the movement from the other side or even the date wheel font?

Anyway it looks legit, my only concern would be this:

If it's a standard grade ETA 2824-2 with Etachoc why is it "gold plated" (never seen one, except one time on ebay and I wasn't sure of its authenticity). Also as far as it can be seen from the images there are 4 holes on the autowind bridge wheel instead of 8.

On the other hand everything else looks fine.

At the end of the day, if it's so hard to tell and Gran says it's gen, I say dahell with it - I vote gen as well.

Edited by Adeodatus

i have an eta 2824-2 in my genuine longines and can confirm that the date font is identical...every number matches on both movements. thanks for the input guys-much appreciated, im around 85%-90% sure its genuine eta...if its this hard to tell though, makes you wonder if the "gen eta movement" reps actually are genuine movements...

For comparison,a typical unfinished SWISS ETA movement

movementunfinished.jpg

A more highly-finished movement used in Thomas Gref watches with Incabloc!!

movementlogo.jpg

The ETA 2824-2

It is important to realize that there are about 4 different grades of the ETA 2824-2 movement available. The differences include the finish (rhodium or nickel, rhodium is more expensive and more durable), the decoration (many different varieties), and the quality of the components. T, and include many component upgrades such as high-grade balance wheels (Glucydur), balance springs, mainsprings, escapements, and balance jewels.

See that autowind bridge wheel on the standard 2824-2 Etachoc movement - 8 holes. This is what I was talking about.

But I still vote gen.

You have a point there....Its a chinese gear for sure and they even put a a not so nice jewel on this gear.... :snorkel: ...so probably partly assembeled in china.....but probably enough parts are SWISS to be considered a swiss movement...my verdict

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&ETA_2824_2

guys you've been great, thankyou :) i noticed on some pics i was finding that it looked identical to some, but a little different to others-i think too thats theres enough there to call it 90% gen, and considering i paid for asian im pretty happy with that! would appear not even the dealers know what they are sending...

Hi. This looks like Asian ETA clone to me. The blurry balance jewel makes it hard to tell but the shock spring looks too fat and the reversing wheels do not appear to have enough holes in them.

I need a clear photo of the balance jewel without so much glare.

Adeodatus is correct in his pointing out the wheel and the shock assembly. They look like typical China clone parts. Nothing like ETA parts.

Adeodatus is correct in his pointing out the wheel and the shock assembly. They look like typical China clone parts. Nothing like ETA parts.

yes some parts could be China made....but still its an ETA

Swiss watch movement

A watch movement is considered Swiss if:

• the movement has been assembled in Switzerland and ,
  • the movement has been inspected by the manufacturer in Switzerland and;
  • the components of Swiss manufacture account for at least 50 percent of the total value, without taking into account the cost of assembly.

so.....maybe

Gran, I'm afraid that the photos you posted clearly show that the OP's movement is not the same.

In the classic china clone ETA, the lack of 3 novodiac spring release notches and the lack of eight holes in each reversing wheel are the most obvious tells.

Your photo of the (gen) gold movement shows 3 novodiac notches in the spring retainer and 8 reversing wheel holes.

The very cloudy photo provided by the OP looks bad ... but a clearer photo would really help.

A gen Hangzhou 6300.

Some of the tells are the shock system has one hole and the gold spring holding the jewel in the shock system is less curly than the ETA. The + sign is almost off the edge of the bridge but the easiest is the writing on the rotor is too close to the edge of the rotor. On the ETA rotor the lettering is approximately 50% of the size of the fonts away from the edge. On the 6300 it's closer to 25%.