When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The new pam crowns

Pam

$60 for a crown seems a little steep...JMHO.

Ditto on that, although the price was higher yesterday, it may drop further :whistling:

I think that the finish on the sides of the teeth would be much better if they were broached, not milled... I believe this is how the gens are manufactured.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is interesting is that the bevel may be too extreme (45 versus 30 degrees - where is the degree sign on my laptop), but I noted that PAM made these 2.1 thick versus the 1.9 on a gen so I am guessing the bevel may be off but the extra thickness will allow for a nice "thick" crown. The whole crown issue is doubly tricky because every time you change them you may well need a new crown guard if you don't like what the finished product looks like. I do hope the crown will be polishable as I have seen a number of PAM's in the last 2-3 days and the two things you notice on the crown are the depth of the teeth and the shine.

Pam, I have sent you numerous PMs and letting you know what my email address is, so that you can send some pics that way, but I have yet to hear from you. I have also asked you about the new price of the crowns at this time, and you have not reply back either. Can you reply back to me, or just let me know in the forum how much they cost? if you can send some pics to my email addy, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Here's a shot of a Lello I have lying around..... For what it's worth.

15812-3349.jpg

The irony of this is that although Lello's crown was actually thinner than the gen (1.85 I think) it still looks thicker because the bevel is pretty much spot on. The quality of his crowns varied and some almost had no bevel on one side (I think he was hand finishing them before they were plated), they were plated brass and a bugger to fit but they did look the part, and I'm afraid to say that I agrre with one of the comments that this looks like a bigger rep crown. Why 2.1mm when there were enough posts with measurements taken from at least two gens that says 1.91. It is indeed the bevel that is again the problem. Here again are the best photos I have of a gen crown and shows exactly the problem.

15812-3350.jpg

15812-3351.jpg

You can see that the bevel is about 45 deg but it only bevels the ends of the teeth from their trough to the peak only. It is when this extends beyond the teeth onto the crown that the narrowing occurs. The other thing is that they look slightly rounded. Not convinced until I see a third party review - especially at the price.

Pam, I have sent you numerous PMs and letting you know what my email address is, so that you can send some pics that way, but I have yet to hear from you. I have also asked you about the new price of the crowns at this time, and you have not reply back either. Can you reply back to me, or just let me know in the forum how much they cost? if you can send some pics to my email addy, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

i am also waiting for Pam's pp address and more photos, but also on the fence as I don't see a *huge* benefit yet. :unsure:

Eagerly awaiting reviews :Jumpy: .

Panerailord-

If you sent pp, he has said he is shipping on Saturday.

Finepics-

I agree with your comments. The fundamental issues with lello crown are that no two were the same, they were not SS and could not be polished. Also because each was different you never knew how close you could get the crown to the case until you mounted it.

With the more distinct teeth and a good polish these new ones should look pretty good. Having seen a good number of PAM's this week what intitally stands out on the gen crowns is the polish and the depth of the teeth. I will be curious to see whether anyone else actually shows up with a new version. Maybe when PAM sells enough of these he will do them again ending the bevel at the appropriate point and making them 1.9. The good thing, on this round, is that the extra thickness will most likely mean you do not need to buy a new crown guard if you previously had a Lello crown on it. Now just add a cyclops and datewheel and life is good. :lol:

Does Lello still sell crowns. Might be an option as seems people are having tough time contacting PAM.

I PM'd Lello a month or so ago and haven't had a reply yet. I have had no problems at all as regards contact with Pam though. Have you PM'd him? He did say in a post in this thread as to how you should contact him...

"...for crowns to order please a PM with the following data

-Name

-Address

-quantity of crowns

-for which models

you get then email with all information"

Hope this helps you tedbearz?

Hopefully if Pam is true to his word my crown should be in the mail and will arrive sometime next week. I'll keep you all posted.

Lello seems to have greatly decreased his frequentation of the forums some time ago.

As far as i know, he did not even subscribe to this new RWG, and the last time he connected to the 'old' RWG has been about 15 days ago.

I've arranged to have my crown shipped directly to Finepics, he hasn't mentioned anything to me as regards getting delivery yet though.

I'm assuming Pam is in Europe somewhere so if he posted them out last Saturday they should be arriving this week or early next week, at least for fellow Europeans anyway.