When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

new pam318 from josh running really fast

archierocks

hi guys i have just got a pam318 from josh with a asian 6497 movement its running about 3-4seconds a min fast had a look at the movement last night and everything looked ok i have had it o and off today noticed it was way out just there and its def 3-4 seconds fast each min

should i send it back or just try to regulate it myself any tips on this movement

These are fairly easily regulated. You could try that first and possibly save yourself a lot of headache sending it back. There should be plenty of info either here or Google as to how to regulate these but see the "+" and "-" on the back of movement and try adjusting there.

It's really tough to properly regulate a movement without a timing machine. If it's running that fast, something else is going on. The most likely culprit would be the hairspring. Have you tried giving the watch a couple of good thumps with the palm of your hand? It's worth a try.

It's really tough to properly regulate a movement without a timing machine. If it's running that fast, something else is going on. The most likely culprit would be the hairspring. Have you tried giving the watch a couple of good thumps with the palm of your hand? It's worth a try.

i have not tried to thump it lol wont that damage it further

As I recall, someone once wrote a tutorial on the "thump" method of regulation. If your watch is running 3 sec/min fast then 3 thumps crown up, if it's 3 seconds slow 3 thumps crown down. If that does not work drop it in a bucket of 50% water 50% kerosene for a day or 2, that'll slow that bad boy down...:)

Please DO NOT "THUMP" YOUR WATCH. Take it to a skilled watchmaker unless you don't care for it, if not "thump" away...;)

I have had a few watches that have stopped with the 6947 movt. Usually this was caused by a small shaving or screw becoming dislodged.

They did start running again with a small thump on the palm of my hand. This is temporary and it will stop again. All the 6497's have a regulator on them

which will work to speed up or slow down the watch. Thumping is not the best idea, and no mater how much you like the watch, "humping" it is not advisable. :wub:

Archie, it is not difficullt to regulate a 6497 but if it is running that fast then i would say you have two coils in the balance spring touching, Find an old school watchsmith (i am sure you can find one with your contacts (just dont go to an AD) and with a timing machine he will be able to sort it in minuets few!

As I recall, someone once wrote a tutorial on the "thump" method of regulation. If your watch is running 3 sec/min fast then 3 thumps crown up, if it's 3 seconds slow 3 thumps crown down. If that does not work drop it in a bucket of 50% water 50% kerosene for a day or 2, that'll slow that bad boy down... :)

Please DO NOT "THUMP" YOUR WATCH. Take it to a skilled watchmaker unless you don't care for it, if not "thump" away... ;)

And please DO NOT "DROP" YOUR WATCH in a bucket of water and kerosene for a day or two either, thanks. LOL!

It's really tough to properly regulate a movement without a timing machine. If it's running that fast, something else is going on. The most likely culprit would be the hairspring.

+1 Very probably a hairspring problem if it's running that fast. That's not a simple regulation issue.

I had a used swiss watch shipped to me, and it was running about 4 secs/min fast out of the box. I took it to a watchmaker and it took him all of five seconds to diagnose that the watch had been jarred, causing the hairspring to wind itself around part of the movement and run super fast. Chances are that same sort of thing happened to yours in transit. As long as nothing has been damaged, it's a cheap repair ($30 in my case).

Edited by BrentYYC