When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What could I do with my AT?

Lovecraft

I have one of these guys here:

61a825a99afce0e351b0ebf0f6ed58c3.image.733x550.jpg

It's really nice and I like it a lot but it has it downsides for sure. The lack of AR goes on my nerves though, and I'd like to get rid of the happy feet if I could. The question is, what can I do to make it better? AR treatment in EU? Who is the best guy to contact? Possible to get a re-lume or do you think the dots are too small for it to be done well? Possible to find crown and tube that is close to the original? As nice as it is, I'd prefer it to be smoother and the tube is threaded on the outside...

The only thing I've done so far is to put a brown leather strap on it with a nice deployment clasp. Even though the bracelet actually was really nice, I prefer the brown leather strap/white stiching look.

AquaTerrablau2.jpg

post-41846-0-01704700-1332787525.jpg

I think these are fairly good out of the box, you know the issues compared to gen anyway so no point going through them, the main issue for me is the dial on these white/blue dials, the blue markers are a different colour to gen, (also the white/"rose gold" version is worse off, markers are terrible, the blue dialed version is very off...dial is a totally different colour to gen). Yours and the black dialed version is probably the closest to gen out of all the old AT reps with the black dialed version being probably closest. It would be interesting to sort out he logo and the lettering but getting correct versions would be difficult unless you find a gen dial and hands somewhere. The AR on the gen is inner only and not the best so the rep isn't vastly different to the rep in that regard, you could have it double AR'd and it would be interesting but would it be worth the effort? Not sure! Also the lume is very tiny on the gen, hardly noticeable.

Not sure what to say really, they are probably best left as is unless you come across a gen dial, ...a bloody nightmare to find!

Thanks for the tip! Yeah, even if it doesn't bring it closer to gen I think I would prefer to have a nice AR on it. I might even consider it if I have a gen - the dial is too nice to hide behind all that glare.

Yes, finding a gen dial is hard - especially a white/blue one. Maybe I'll be able to lay my hands on some gen stuff some time - would be nice to add gen dial/hands.

Hopefully they will consider making some of the new ATs as well, but I'm not betting on it. If they do I'll be first in line though...

Yeah the AR will certainly make a big difference, it can only improve it so might be worth the investment. These AT's especially that one are as rare as hens teeth these days. I would love a decent white/blue gen, but not prepared to pay the premium that is being asked for them these days. Be patient and a dial might come up on ebay or something.

I see andrew has some teak dial at's that I haven't seen before:

http://www.yourtrustytime.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35_66&products_id=8668

still a lot of problems but better than some other teak dial versions around, still a21j and the size must be a miss print...it surely couldn't be 46mm case size?

Why would you want to mess with a very nice replica like this...???

It's certainly not something you'd wear all that frequently...I haven't worn mine more than maybe 4 or 5 times in the past 5 years....I only use it as a dress watch....

I see andrew has some teak dial at's that I haven't seen before:

http://www.yourtrustytime.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35_66&products_id=8668

still a lot of problems but better than some other teak dial versions around, still a21j and the size must be a miss print...it surely couldn't be 46mm case size?

I have one of those, it's got the newer style striped dial, not the nice sunburst dial of old. The size is correct, it's based on the larger PO case I'd assume. It's a shame they didn't base it off the 42. I like it, but the AR coating seems to somehow make it more reflective if anything. It's a flawed rep to be sure.

Why would you want to mess with a very nice replica like this...???

I just want it to be the best watch it can be :1a:

I like it very, very well actually - better than my franken PO even. There's just some really small things about it that I'd like to fix. Besides - it's fun. :) Right now it's very good, but it can be better :2a:

I have one of these guys here:

It's really nice and I like it a lot but it has it downsides for sure. The lack of AR goes on my nerves though, and I'd like to get rid of the happy feet if I could. The question is, what can I do to make it better? AR treatment in EU? Who is the best guy to contact? Possible to get a re-lume or do you think the dots are too small for it to be done well? Possible to find crown and tube that is close to the original? As nice as it is, I'd prefer it to be smoother and the tube is threaded on the outside...

I have the blue dialed gen as a daily wearer. It has inside AR only but it is noticeable and you don't run any risk of scratching any outside coating. Domi has a contact in EU that will do AR coating.

Re-lume will probably not get it that much closer to gen as the lume on the gen is pretty much only noticeable in the middle of the night when your eyes have adjusted to the darkness for some time. If you want to have the lume shine stronger than on the gen a re-lume might help..

The tube is threaded on the outside on the gen. If I am not mistaken only the 45mm PO has inside threads.

TBH if you are planning to wear this watch daily and are that much bothered with the tells: get a gen. You can get them in pretty good condition for around 1500 or less Euros. New tube and crown, new dial or re-lume, AR coating, the price of the rep, the time it will take to get all done, finding a watchmaker that will service your rep when something is broken.. It's just not worth it imho. :)

That being said, the white dial with blue markers are somewhat rare, so finding a gen will take some time too...

Edited by Tom Hawkes

Really? I had no idea that it was threaded on the outside... I have to say, I prefer to have them on the inside. Doesn't matter THAT much though.

I've been hunting for a gen for a while now. I've found a few, but they are far and few between. The ones I've found so far have been either in bad shape, missing box or simply too expensive. I'll continue looking though - it doesn't have to be in mint condition. If I get one I'll probably wear it every day as well and it'll pick up scratches sooner or later anyway.