When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone have recent problems with Josh's watches?

Phillip Jin

Hey there. Ive been using Josh for 6-7 years now buying PAM reps and have already had quality service and product. I am a big supporter. About a year ago I bought a new 111 which didnt last more than 11 months. I sent it in to Josh at the end of December. In the meantime I gots antsy waiting for Chinese New Year to pass so I bought another one from him in January. This one didnt last more than 3 months. I sent it back and got it back a few weeks later. Ive had it now for maybe a bit over a month and it konked out again. Problems are it begins to run slow, it begins to stop moving even when its not fully unwound, ... Its a pain in the ass to keep sending them back. Plus after assurances that its coming I till havent gotten the original one I sent in for repair in December back. Im just wondering if its me or are there other users having difficulty recently. Im really attached to having my PAM on my wrist and now it will be the second time I own 2 111's and both are shipped out for repair.

Thanks guys.

First of all, that has nothing to do with Josh or any other dealer. This is a problem with all factories and their reps. Noob and H factories suck equally bad at that. They do not assemble movements properly, they do not oil parts properly, almost always they don't oil parts at all, or over oil some of them while not oil others at all. In many cases they use faulty parts or wrong parts all together. That goes for all reps, no exceptions. Some will run longer some will not, it's all luck. Older reps, from 6-7 years ago had better movements that were put together with more care although still not oiled properly, but were less accurate visually. Today reps look better but less attention is being paid to movements and from what I was told there are new problems coming up that were not there before.

That said, all that is fixable. If you want to have your rep run well for a long time, get it serviced before using it.

Edited by lfovco

First of all, that has nothing to do with Josh or any other dealer. This is a problem with all factories and their reps. Noob and H factories suck equally bad at that. They do not assemble movements properly, they do not oil parts properly, almost always they don't oil parts at all, or over oil some of them while not oil others at all. In many cases they use faulty parts or wrong parts all together. That goes for all reps, no exceptions. Some will run longer some will not, it's all luck. Older reps, from 6-7 years ago had better movements that were put together with more care although still not oiled properly, but were less accurate visually. Today reps look better but less attention is being paid to movements and from what I was told there are new problems coming up that were not there before.

That said, all that is fixable. If you want to have your rep run well for a long time, get it serviced before using it.

Thank you. I actually have never gotten mine serviced before. Do you take yours to a specialty watch repair or any old watch service repair shop? I suppose Ive always had a bit of anxiety over some PAM service guy treating me weird for wearing a rep. How often to you get it serviced? And exactly what are they doing when servicing the watch?

I just sent 3 to The Zigmeister for full servicing. 1 wouldn't wind, 1 had the date stuck between 2 dates and the other's PR was about 4 hours when not wearing it. Cost me $550 but all 3 run great now and I don't expect issues. Normally I chuck them but these were all within 6 months old.

I agree with above that the newer reps look great but have way more issues. I never serviced any of my old stuff and only ever had 1 issue in around 25 watches.

I just sent 3 to The Zigmeister for full servicing. 1 wouldn't wind, 1 had the date stuck between 2 dates and the other's PR was about 4 hours when not wearing it. Cost me $550 but all 3 run great now and I don't expect issues. Normally I chuck them but these were all within 6 months old.

I agree with above that the newer reps look great but have way more issues. I never serviced any of my old stuff and only ever had 1 issue in around 25 watches.

Thanks S Man. So do you suggest I send in the already dead reps to Zig as well as the ones that come back repaired for servicing?

Yeah I know you are not blaming Josh, but you know how it is with those reps, it really is a lottery. The fact it none of the movements are put together properly, some are better some worse. You may be super lucky and have your unserviced piece run for years, it does happen.

never blamed Josh. i do wanna send them to get serviced, but wanted them working first before servicing

100% with you on it. I have some reps that date back to 2005 ad 2006. Serviced by The Zigmeister, and they run like a dream, all with swiss movements. He has not seen any issues with them at all at the time of servicing. I recently sent him a brand new 390 and that movement had bunch of issues that The Zigmeister skillfully fixed. Visually it is such a stunning rep so spending extra money to assure it runs for years and years is sooooo worth it. Definitely seems like current movements in reps are not nearly as good as what they used to be, these are of course all Asian movements.

I'm nicely surprised though to see few pieces with new Sellita SW200-1 movements, although not Pam's.

Edited by lfovco

A proper service of the rep needs complete disassembly to the last tiniest part then parts clean up in ultrasonic cleaning tank, parts inspection afterwards, needs to be oiled with best Swiss lubricants, adjustment, testing, and more testing and more testing, etc.

I have an old man watch tech in my area. What kind of servicing do you recommend for a month old Pam?

Thanks

Edited by lfovco

A proper service of the rep needs complete disassembly to the last tiniest part then parts clean up in ultrasonic cleaning tank, parts inspection afterwards, needs to be oiled with best Swiss lubricants, adjustment, testing, and more testing and more testing, etc.

Anyone know of a good service guy in NYC?

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all. I bought a 005 to josh one year ago. It has been working fine but yesterday it stopped suddenly. After that, watch is working but not in accurate way (it works about 5 minutes faster per hour). Do you know any watchsmith in europe?

Thanks S Man. So do you suggest I send in the already dead reps to Zig as well as the ones that come back repaired for servicing?

If you like the watch enough to keep, definitely. If you're not really sure if it's worth it to you to invest any more money in it, you could put it up for sale here. You'll get a little $ back without spending more and a lot of guys here like fixing movements so someone will take it.

Anyone know of a good service guy in NYC?

There is a great little shop in Korea town. If you search the forums the address will pop up. I can't remember it off the top of my head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are four trusted watch techs in the USA, one in Canada, some in Europe .. just mail your piece to the closest one to you. Turn around can be as short as a couple days to as long as a month depending on their workload.

Why spend cash on a return to China when all you need is a service. If your new watch is missing pieces or broken parts ..yeah send it back, but for movement troubles?? Service it.