When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tritium - Why Is It Still Used On Panerai's?

Finepics

Just to clear up some confusion as to the use of Tritium on some Panerai dials. All the submersible 1000m range use Tritium on the dials because Super-Luminova is not good enough to be consantly visible when diving at extreme depths, and Tritium does not need to be charged by light. Remember that these watches are serious tools rather than fashion items. Tritium is still used in the watch industry but strict licensing only makes it worthwhile for specific applications - SL requires no licence and is non toxic which is why most makers don't use Tritium anymore.

Or maybe anyone who can buy a PAM Submersible once and use it for diving, can afford to buy another in future!

Either that or the service centre will do a redial when needed?

Panerai really still uses it? I did not know that...but then again, I haven't really looked at the Sub 1000. I prefer the historic line and the vintage 6152s and 3646s (and the one 2533 made).

I wonder why Rolex does not use it anymore on the Sub?

My understanding is, most companies do not make their own dials. They are farmed out to the dial making companies (the largest of which was just bought by the Swatch Group!). So I don't think licensing is an issue. I think companies switched over to SL not only becasue it does glow brighter (for a shorter period though) I think as it ages, it does not develop as much (any?) patina.

I love that yellowed patina that tritum gives. But I believe that 99% of people want their watch looking new for as long as possible.

I've been a certified diver for over 14 years now...I can say that if you are a serious diver, you're not wearing a Panerai. I have never seen anyone wear a Panerai on a dive. if you do wear a Panerai, its 1)new at diving 2)just for shits and giggles...and you're wearing a dive computer on the other wrist.

I'm not into computers...I hate digital...I use a waterproof plastic dive chart and 2 Seiko automatic watches (for redundancy).

Been toying for years about a Rolex sub. Love the history (Comex, etc) hate the image (mall watch, everyone assumes you bought it to show off). Would love a vintage Tudor sub (especially if it was used by the French military) but would not feel comfortable taking it on a dive and beating it up like my Seikos. A new Rolex, I would have no problems using it the way it was meant to be used.

Panerai Submersibles have a depth rating of 1000m (PAM187, Slytechs, PAM064) to 2500 (PAM194). There is much less light down at those depths.

R*l*x subs have a much lower rating. I think it's somewhere between 200-300m (can't remember which offhand). The Seadweller has a greater rating but doesn't get close to the PAM194.

There is a safer method of using tritium lately. The H3 Tritium Gas tubes that RXW and Ball use are US military specifications and will glow for 20 years or so.

There is a safer method of using tritium lately. The H3 Tritium Gas tubes that RXW and Ball use are US military specifications and will glow for 20 years or so.

I had an RXW Plasmir with these gas tubes, and I must say, that I was far from impressed with the glow. Not even remotely close to Super Luminova. :thumbdown:

I had an RXW Plasmir with these gas tubes, and I must say, that I was far from impressed with the glow. Not even remotely close to Super Luminova. :thumbdown:

Tritium doesn't glow as brightly as SuperLuminova, but it does last. SL fades over time, and you will find the tritium is brighter than the SL after some time. If I go to a movie theatre, the SL has usually faded by the end of the movie, but the tritium is constant and immediately recognizeable. That's why the PAM subs use tritium, as the glow will not fade for 20 years or so.