When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Compressors

blazed7

Are there any reps of compressor watches? Just a simple one with an internal bezel :).

So far I saw:

Watcheden has some quartz JLC master compressors but I'd rather have an auto.

Joshua has two a mechanical and an auto - the mechanical is a JLC master compressor with an alarm and that one looks nice. I'd have to wonder about the quality of it though,and how robust the movement is with the added alarm complication.

Silix has a few autos (again JLC) but they all have added complications like date/world time/subdials, and look a little cluttered.

Seems like no one does a simple compressor and most are JLC ones with extra complications.

Sadly there are no good ones, I've been holding out for a Extreme World Chrono, or even better the MC Alarm model for years.. Same with Reverso's, I don't know why JLC's are not repped well, they are just as popular in Asia as all the other brands

Sadly there are no good ones, I've been holding out for a Extreme World Chrono, or even better the MC Alarm model for years..

I don't think you (or we) have to wait much longer :) . I was searching through RG and saw a post by puretime about a new MC Alarm Navy SEALs rep. Prototype is coming out sometime this month, and maybe release next month? I think it is from noob factory (?), I am still not familiar with all these terms.

Edited by blazed7

Funny thing is I saw the same post just a few minutes after a typed this one.. I don't know how I missed the thread, but it's awesome news. I'll definitely be buying one, I have waited years for a good Compressor rep, and it's been a long time since a new brand got added to my collection.

WatchEden also used to carry a cheapo rep of the IWC Vintage Aquatimer. I wasn't too fond of the gen, and the rep looked very unremarkable. I don't think the bezel could even turn.

There are homages of the 36mm Compressor available from one seller based in France. Most of the time, the dial is signed "Landeron" but I'm certain there's no link with the old movement manufacturer. Similarly, I'm not even sure if these homages are even real Compressors, or just lookalikes with screwdown casebacks. Ignore the EUR 750 list price; I'm sure you can pick one up for less than $400.

Finally, there's the Pleamar, which was a limited edition Super Compressor homage produced by/for a Spanish watch forum. It is suspiciously similar to the Longines Legend Diver (granted, both watches are based on the EPSA 42mm case), and goes for under $800. The rumor is that an LLD was sent to China so that 200 copies could be made. I can't understand why a run of several thousand could have been produced, and turned into reps of LLDs and Polarises.

lhooq- more info on the Longines Legend Diver please, would love to get a rep of this beauty.

Even though I already own the gen... Yes, me too! If a rep were available, I would love to try and mod it to have a huge Plexiglas dome (as on the '60s originals, and on the recent JLC Tribute to Polaris), and maybe swap the hands out for Tudor Ranger units. I thought about doing this to mine after the warranty period ended, but you do learn to love the LLD as-is--even with its flatter sapphire.

I really don't know if a rep Compressor-type case will ever be available to us. It would be a pretty easy case to rep; the only difficult bit might be the star gear for the turning internal bezel. Actually, I would be very interested to ask someone who owns the Pleamar whether its bezel can be rotated.

Here's the post I wrote not long after I bought my gen in December 2009. The last I heard (from guys who were looking), the Date version of the LLD is available from various ADs. The No-Date isn't listed on the Longines website, and was rumored to be discontinued. Thankfully, the rumors seem to be mistaken. The No-Dates are tricky to find, but they have been spotted recently at a few ADs. Old stock, maybe?

Although one guy on RepGeek sold his for $1000 flat (!), current prices seem to in the $1200-1700 range. A new LLD is about $2100 at the AD.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think you (or we) have to wait much longer :) . I was searching through RG and saw a post by puretime about a new MC Alarm Navy SEALs rep. Prototype is coming out sometime this month, and maybe release next month? I think it is from noob factory (?), I am still not familiar with all these terms.

It's not the Alarm model, just the standard 3 hand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

• 1 month later...

Yup and not even compressor style (internal bezel) so I have no idea what I was thinking or looking at.

FYI: 'Compressor' is more a description of the caseback/seals of certain cases manufactured by EPSA. It doesn't necessarily mean "twin-crown, internal bezel", even though that's probably the first image that comes to mind when you see the word. You can find dive watches with one crown and an external turning bezel that are still considered Compressors or Super Compressors. Scubawatch has a good summary that will clarify the issue--after you get through the initial confusion!

That said, JLC's 'Master Compressor' only refers to its peculiar type of screwdown crowns. JLC dive watches did use EPSA Compressor cases from the late 1950s until the latter company went out of business in the mid-70s. When JLC unveiled its new dive watch in 2002, someone got the bright idea of appropriating the Compressor name for it. Voila: Instant heritage for the Master Compressor Memovox.

This thread needs more pics.

Yes! Here's my current Compressor collection:

i-XVK3gjJ-X3.jpgi-8QZx5bf-X3.jpg

i-VJTRnSS-X3.jpgi-55xGxsM-X3.jpg

FYI: 'Compressor' is more a description of the caseback/seals of certain cases manufactured by EPSA. It doesn't necessarily mean "twin-crown, internal bezel", even though that's probably the first image that comes to mind when you see the word. You can find dive watches with one crown and an external turning bezel that are still considered Compressors or Super Compressors. Scubawatch has a good summary that will clarify the issue--after you get through the initial confusion!

Thanks for the info and links but I knew that from trying to find them on eBay (kept getting seeing single crowns and eventually realized why). It is why I also mentioned an internal bezel in my first post :). It is an interesting read nonetheless as I never actually looked it up.

EDIT: Oh, I see. Should have looked at the quoted post - I did make an incorrect statement :doh: !

Edited by blazed7