When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dropped a Watch. Where is the last place to look for problems?

Adeodatus

Need a bit of advice.

I dropped my A2892 Spitfire the other day. It fell flat on the back, and miraculously there are no dings or dongs. No I'm noticing that it runs +5 mins a day, though. I tried to regulate, checked the hairspring and the bridges, but nothing. Today I noticed that it stopped working, so I opened it up again and the balance was sort of stuck. I gave it a nudge and the watch started ticking again.

It definitely needs a repair, but I was thinking about doing it myself, if I will not need parts.

In that light where would one look for issues in this case (watch dropping flat in its back), especially the least obvious places?

Help me to help my poor patient, dear doctors...

Looking at it is not enough. You need to remove the balance and inspect the staff and upper and lower jewels for cracks or dislocation with a 10x loupe.

Agreed... There is no way you could tell any real damage to the jewels by just looking at it. You need to disassemble it and examine it under really good light and with a loupe. The crack could be barely visible, and yet that could cause some serious issues.

I did, I did. Obviously, I wasn't just looking at it ;)... Nothing to report, though. Like a freaken mystery

Ah ok, good job :thumbsupsmileyanim:

You could take a look at the regulator studs (the arms on the balance c ock) and the hair spring coils. Maybe one of the coils got tangled up or slipped out of the stud.

• Like 1

I agree with the previous recommendations. You need to remove the balance & inspect it carefully. If the watch is running fast, most likely the hairspring is crimped or tangled on an adjacent wheel or bridge. Also, check to be sure the cap jewels (both upper & lower) have reset to their center/null positions in the shock assemblies.