When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 6263 Project

Hi Everybody,

For the past two days after I joined the forum, I've been reading a lot of infomative threads. You folks popped my eyes in terms of horological knowledge and experiences. I am very pleased that I found my way to the site, kudos to you all.

Special thanks to Ubiquitous answering my several PMs giving me some insights in regard to building a replica 6263, I guess he's got tied up or out of town for the weekend...

Can you experienced 6263 builder folks share some of your recipes for the best 6263? I am getting genuine T21, case and tube. Either a V72 or V726. I was informed that DW has the best 6263 case kit less movement runs around mid 300 shipped, and how can I buy one? And who has the best hands to fit the V7s? And whose has the best dial in terms of quality and accuracy? Do I need to replace the one comes in the DW kit? I heard it's very close to original, isn't it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Aloha,

Pat

Thank you Randy. I've looked into these cases:

1) David Wong? Case and case back not engraved;

2) Similar non engraved;

3) Everything looks better but BIN $995!

I am in fact looking for something like item# 330045222110. Is this a genuine or replica? Case back satin finish is very nice, looks very gen to me.

BTW, my uncle in Hong Kong called and told me that he has located and already purchased a Longine w/72® for me! I am stoked! T21, tube & crown on the way to him! All I need is case, band and dial and I am set. I am taking a trip there late November and want to visit GuangZhou to shop for this if I can't find something really nice by then. Any idea where to shop?

Thanks and Aloha all for help, much appreciated!

Pat

330045222110 is a replica case, it looks very nice, but the final prices on this sellers auctions end very high, i would guess that this auction will close at aroun 2000USD

This is the same case as number 1, but it has been engraved and the caseback is swapped for a engraved version. The seller has given the case a vintage look, the pushers, tube and crown have been changed.

I really like the engravings on the 330045222110 case, but i am not overly enthuiastic about the crown and the bezel ("UNITS PER HOUR" comes too close to 200)

Edited by the collector

I don't think that Jensen's (jdm_k20) cases are the same as those sold by lek831...They seem much better quality to me. His are the only only ones that feature OEM quality pushers. I do agree with your criticism of the bezels, however.

I'll make a prediction: You will soon see a greater supply of quality VJ72 cases, with original style engraving.

Thank you Randy. I've looked into these cases:

1) David Wong? Case and case back not engraved;

David is smart enough to know that selling engraved parts on eBay, and shipping them through customs, can be the source of hassles. You might want to contact him through one of his auctions, to see if he'll give you a price for an engraved case.

I don't think that Jensen's (jdm_k20) cases are the same as those sold by lek831...They seem much better quality to me. His are the only only ones that feature OEM quality pushers. I do agree with your criticism of the bezels, however.

I'll make a prediction: You will soon see a greater supply of quality VJ72 cases, with original style engraving.

Sorry, i meant case number 1, the DW case....

I really like the engravings on the 330045222110 case, but i am not overly enthuiastic about the crown and the bezel ("UNITS PER HOUR" comes too close to 200)

I went back and look again, yes U/H's indeed too close, but what's wrong with crown? Size wise or sticker too far out?

I really wish that's gonna happen... if VJ72s supply < demand, price will go up. What is the economical sense of making more nicer cases while facing a shortage of movements? Is there a Chinese made VJ72 copy yet?

David is smart enough to know that selling engraved parts on eBay, and shipping them through customs, can be the source of hassles. You might want to contact him through one of his auctions, to see if he'll give you a price for an engraved case.

Yes very true... and I did email him but he hasn't responded yet.

With the pace that people are buying 6263 cases, the demand for VJ72's is surging, my prediction is that we will see less and less good priced movements around...so when you see something that is well priced do not hesitate

I agree, I hope that don't drive down production and quality of rep 6263 case kits...

Thanks avitt and the collector.

Pat

I went back and look again, yes U/H's indeed too close, but what's wrong with crown? Size wise or sticker too far out?

The crown is too far out...

Also, i am not entirely sure if the crown is genuine. Looking at the cogs, which on a genuine crown are quite sharp, look more rounded on this one... as said not really sure....

Edited by the collector

I really wish that's gonna happen... if VJ72s supply < demand, price will go up. What is the economical sense of making more nicer cases while facing a shortage of movements? Is there a Chinese made VJ72 copy yet?

This game will never be for the masses. That being said, there is no shortage of VJ72 movements. The number of movements for sale on eBay, day in and day out, always surpasses the number of Daytona case sets. Will the price of these movements go up? Absolutely. Not everyone will be able to contruct the perfect VJ72 based Daytona replica...and that's just fine.

Not everyone will be able to contruct the perfect VJ72 based Daytona replica...and that's just fine.

Sure they can. If they can't assemble it themselves, they can certainly have their watchmaker/service guy do the work. Just a matter of collecting the parts. If people are patient enough, the right parts will come along. Collector is a perfect example of exhibiting the patience required.

But, it's technically not difficult to do such a project. The parts are out there... There are people who can do the work. So, in my opinion... Anyone who wants one bad enough can construct the perfect V72 based vintage Daytona rep. Be it with their own hands, or via someone else's.

Money + money + money = impossible is nothing...

-river