When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch lost in mail to trusted dealer?

whitestripes

Hey all,

Been a while since I've posted. I sent a watch back to a dealer for some issues about 2.5 months ago (sent it only with a customs number - which lets me track it to the point it left the USA, but not after, because getting tracking would cost $42). He says he hasn't received it (I check in about once a week with him). Am I [censored] out of luck, what can I do? It was a minor fix. I should've forked over the $42... better than losing out on $300.

Has anyone been in this situation? What have they done for you?

Thanks for your help.

You wont get anything I am afraid. I lost a watch shipped to Shanghai for repairs. it never arrived... Got $25 discount on a new one :(

Hey all,

Been a while since I've posted. I sent a watch back to a dealer for some issues about 2.5 months ago (sent it only with a customs number - which lets me track it to the point it left the USA, but not after, because getting tracking would cost $42). He says he hasn't received it (I check in about once a week with him). Am I [censored] out of luck, what can I do? It was a minor fix. I should've forked over the $42... better than losing out on $300.

Has anyone been in this situation? What have they done for you?

Thanks for your help.

Yeah you should have forked out that $42 for tracking because now you can expect to continue to get the same response.....With tracking, you can say 'buddy, the tracking update says it was received' and buddy can't deny it.

Sorry to hear of your loss, my condolences...

Sorry, I shouldn't joke. Don't give up hope yet.

I live in Taiwan and sometimes the post gets screwy.

It's usually lightning fast to the States but I think they sometimes use sea turtles to bring the mail the other way!

Live and learn, either fork out the extra money for peace of mind, or as Jkay, the wise one, says "get things repaired in your own country"

Keep us posted

Air mail registered to china would cost about $20 and provide tracking from the USA

I asked for registered - and she said i had "too much tape." I don't know wtf that means, but I assume it was some bull s*** (they are super lazy and fat). So the only options i was given were EMS for $42 and whatever I chose for like $10.

The horror stories for 3-5 months are just crazy. I'm thinking of doing a CC chargeback... I have nothing (more) to lose.

No doubt they are lazy and usually know less than the average customer when it comes to international options

I am not sure the dealers are really giving you their address and have any clue when and if the recipient gets it, repairs it and reships it back

There have been many stories of dealers giving similar haven't received it back replies and then weeks later the watch showing up at the op's door repaired

Have heard stories ranging from 3-6 months later, so it would not shock me if you get it back someday

I am not sure the dealers are really giving you their address and have any clue when and if the recipient gets it, repairs it and reships it back

There have been many stories of dealers giving similar haven't received it back replies and then weeks later the watch showing up at the op's door repaired

Have heard stories ranging from 3-6 months later, so it would not shock me if you get it back someday

That might be the case, a few years ago I sent a noobmariner back to this same dealer... didnt hear any thing, and a few months later I saw that there was a package for me at the PO and bam - there it was. That was part of the reason I chose to go back to this same dealer this time. The uncertainty is killing me though, and my lack of recourse makes me sad.

This gives me hope that I may get the $300 vintage watch I sold on eBay back. Sent it overseas without insurance since I left it up to the buyer to choose if he wanted it or not, but in the end responsibility was put on me and I had to refund him. Been 5 months now :cry2: .

overseas shipping, esp to places without mail systems as good as the US (which is most non-western countries), is a big gamble without shelling out big bucks for EMS.

Once this gets settled (if it ever does)... I might be out of the rep game from trusted sellers. Might just deal with used pieces from members in CONUS.

Can I complain to my credit card company and do a charge back?

As a fellow New Yorker (brooklynite), I can attest to the absolutely detestable service available behind the bullet-proof plexi in our post offices. However, in this case the troglodyte was probably telling you the truth. Registered mail requires that the package be taped EXCLUSIVELY with paper tape that you wet the backside to affix. It's a pain, for sure, but it's so that the package can be stamped by everyone who touches it. Plastic tape cannot be stamped, hence, registered mail cannot be used.

I asked for registered - and she said i had "too much tape." I don't know wtf that means, but I assume it was some bull s*** (they are super lazy and fat). So the only options i was given were EMS for $42 and whatever I chose for like $10.

The horror stories for 3-5 months are just crazy. I'm thinking of doing a CC chargeback... I have nothing (more) to lose.

No matter what the lazy postal worker told you, you are the one who makes the decision about the method that you want to send your package. Cheapest is definitely not always the best. Registered is slow but trackable. It's probably the slowest because it has to be signed for and accounted at every stop. International Express would have been a better choice, but as you said more expensive. Another suggestion, all packages, Priority and Express shoiuld be scanned at every point (wishful thinking, I know!) However if you sent the package to China, have you tried going to the China Post website tracking page, type in your tracking number and see if it was scanned in in China? I do the reverse on packages sent from other countries, tracking on the origin country only shows up til the package is sent out of their sorting facility. Usually, in a couple of days, it will show up on the USPS tracking site as received by customs.

Another thing in answer to the problem blazed7 had, I have sold a number of genuine watches as well as vintage fountain pens overseas. i make it very clear in my listings, that the package will be declared for it's full sales price. The reason being, the USPS will not allow you to insure a package for more than the declared value on the customs form. If the package is lost, the buyer expects either a watch or his money back. So, now you are out the watch plus postage and PayPal fees and you have to refund the full purchase price. this is non-negotiable, even though I have had folks plead that they want it declared for much less to avoid customs fees.That's great if nothoing happens, but should the package get lost or stolen, you'de out of luck.

Another thing in answer to the problem blazed7 had, I have sold a number of genuine watches as well as vintage fountain pens overseas. i make it very clear in my listings, that the package will be declared for it's full sales price. The reason being, the USPS will not allow you to insure a package for more than the declared value on the customs form. If the package is lost, the buyer expects either a watch or his money back. So, now you are out the watch plus postage and PayPal fees and you have to refund the full purchase price. this is non-negotiable, even though I have had folks plead that they want it declared for much less to avoid customs fees.That's great if nothoing happens, but should the package get lost or stolen, you'de out of luck.

Yes that is what I did :bangin: . A lot of things I've received from overseas were declared for only $10-20 on the custom forms, so I had done the same for my watches that I sold on eBay. As luck would have it, the most expensive one was the one that got lost. Lesson learned, and I'll only declare full price now and ship insured or with tracking at the very least.

I wish that fat ass postal worker would have told me why it was too much tape. Had I known it was a legitimate reason I would've re wrapped it. No taking on China post. My tracking number begins with LC. At around $300 this is not cheap... This is a 32" TV. I wonder if he'll sell me a replacement for cheap. Doubt it.

Don't know what other recourse I have. I'm obviously very unhappy and will go to great trouble to recoup this loss.

I wish that fat ass postal worker would have told me why it was too much tape. Had I known it was a legitimate reason I would've re wrapped it. No taking on China post. My tracking number begins with LC. At around $300 this is not cheap...

Your LC tracking number is really only a US Customs number. It isn't a USPS tracking number and will not work as soon as the package leaves the US.

EDIT: I see you knew that in your first post..........Never mind!

Edited by kbh