When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

CHS Noob gen-style bezel construction GMT II 16710

sneed12

I've posted about this watch before, it's a Noob Explorer II case with a TW bezel assembly installed to make a gen-construction GMT II 16710.

A while ago I picked up one of the new Swiss CHS movements from grifter. Unfortunately in shipping the hour and minute hands got lost... the minute hand was no big deal since it's a standard ETA hand, but the hour hand is the "4th" hand on a CHS movement and there is no ETA analogue.

I decided to try gen-spec 3185 hands, just for the heck of it, and it turns out that the hour hand fits (none of the others do). I got clarks aftermarket gen-spec hands for $15.

Finally this weekend I managed to find a free half-hour (things have been really swamped at work) to do the movement swap.

3e0edde3.jpg

Installing a date disc with a datewheel overlay already installed is a cast-iron ***** on these movements, none of the usual tricks worked. In the future if possible I'll try to install a regular date disc and then the DWO on top, but this one was assembled by BK and I didn't want to pull it apart because the alignment is fantastic.

d63ce10c.jpg

Hour and GMT hands installed

637a333c.jpg

Digging through the spare hands drawer to find a minute hand that would fit--the hand that was on there already had too tall of a collar on it.

ecaf6c15.jpg

All hands installed

8ba0e646.jpg

Final result

I'm pretty happy with it. The minute hand that I found is a bit scratched up, but oh well. I suppose I can order another set of hands from Gary. The lume on his gen-spec hands was surprisingly good. I'll keep the old ICHS movement and hands in case this one dies, but I'm interested to see how long it lasts.

That Noob GMT II dial looks GREAT !!

Awesome job sneed.(as usual)

This "swiss improved" CHS fit the Noob case with the existing adaptor or was another one needed?

I've been told the CHS 2836-2 is a bit thicker due to the bridge and gear-works.

Any problems fitting it into the Noob case?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...