When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help picking first Rolex rep

MapsMoney

hey guys, I bought 3 panerais and love them.. But I wanna tone it down a bit, 42-44mm is a bit big for my wrists and want to pick up 1 or 2 'smaller' pieces...

I'm thinking dropping ~$400-600 on a really nice Rolex rep was thinking a Date Just ( like the look of those ) or maybe a sub? I'm open to anything honestly. The less flashy the better, I'm looking for a modest piece that can be 'believable' , not some blatantly poor piece. I'm not the best with rolexes so I figure i'd ask the experts here.. Thanks a bunch!

By no means an expert but so far I have a few Rolex in the watch box, by far the most used by me are my Bk Sub and my no date Sub, the Bk I bought on here from another member for under $400 the no date from Trevor for under $ 200 ;)

IMG_0604-001.jpg

IMG_0592.jpg

If you want to avoid 'looking flashy', I would advise you to avoid the following watches: Any DateJust with a fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet, the Yacht-Master, the GMTII Ceramic, the latest Ceramic Submariners, and just to be safe, the Deep Sea Sea-Dweller. A flat-bezelled DateJust can be a fantastic 'everyday' watch, especially if with a white or black dial. Other than that, it depends what functions will be useful to you. The 1680 or 16610 Submariners make great watches for everyday use, but not the best with suits, where if you wanted to be able to track a second timezone, it might be worth looking at the GMT Master range :) Best of luck with your search :good::drinks:

I see nothing wrong with a SS sub and a suit! :) sub works great for any occasion :p

To be honest, I do agree with you, the sub is a fantastic all-rounder, especially if it's an 'only one watch' situation, but if I had the choice available of something like a DJ, then I wouldn't wear a sub with a suit :)

the TC sub looks nice! I don't wear suits often. I'm self employed and usually wear jeans, dress shoes, button down or a sweater.. weathers getting warmer so I've been wearing khaki shorts with T shirts or button down/collared shirts.. I'm a simple guy.

I really like the TC sub, I may pick that up for my first..

Any other suggestions?

Thanks guys!

Given the above comments, then a Submariner should fit your needs perfectly :good: I would equally advise against buying the TC sub outright just in case, but, if you literally just want to give the watch a try, for this price, I'd highly recommend this watch and seller. They might not be on the forum's 'trusted dealer' list, but I've never had an issue with them, and only buy from anyone else if they don't have the specific watch I'm looking for :)

http://www.cqout.com/item.asp?id=14764583

PS Before anyone starts whining about 'scams' and 'only using the trusted dealers' or any such BS, the site uses an inhouse escrow service which is more secure than any TD offering. I'm personally vouching for this seller and their high standards, so if anyone wants to cry foul, you'll be calling me a liar...

That's a very fair price for a high quality a21j sub

The only issue I've had with regards water resistance, was after I'd had the watch a while, and decided to re-set the crystal, which was offset by 1 degree clockwise. I suspect that in addition to the gasket seal, there was an additional epoxy seal (which I would have broken popping the crystal :whistling: ) but once I ran a bead of superglue round the gasket before finally re-setting the crystal, the watch is once more water resistant :tu: Sure, I'm not going to say that the watch I've shown is in the same league as a TC sub, but for the cost, I can't fault it, and it's certainly a good way of 'test-driving' the watch before deciding to upgrade (or in my case, convert to a 16800... ) and I've worn mine without challenge. Sure, an AD/pawnshop would know, but 'the man on the street' wouldn't have a clue, apart from the suspicious brandname ;)

Very nice DJ racer80, great pic!

Teejay, great sub for the cash that one you linked to on cqout......been a few years since I browsed cqout, I bought some great watches on there years ago, off the dealer above and I remember tonyxkf (well before watcheden) seller there, got some right bargains dirt cheap from him at the time, glad to see some of the dealers are still going on the site.

I love that datejust, how much was it? where you get it ?

Price range?? I'd be willing to plop down a decent amount on a reallly nice piece , I'm self employed and make a fair amt of money so I have some extra cash to treat myself.. I have 2 watches only and want to build a solid collection and pick up some nice pieces for the summer season :)

Thanks guys

Teejay, great sub for the cash that one you linked to on cqout......been a few years since I browsed cqout, I bought some great watches on there years ago, off the dealer above and I remember tonyxkf (well before watcheden) seller there, got some right bargains dirt cheap from him at the time, glad to see some of the dealers are still going on the site.

I mean sure, there aren't any serial numbers between the lugs, the sticker on the back reads 11610 ( :bangin: ) and of course, the engravings on the clasp leaves are gibberish, but those're things which really only matter if the watch is to come off the wrist and to be handed over for inspection (ie passed off as gen) under 'regular observation', it looks the business, and I can't fault it :) Likewise, I miss doing business with Tony, since he left CQout and began WatchEden, circumstances have prevented me having the cash to buy from him, which is frustrating, but such is life :pardon:

I love that datejust, how much was it? where you get it ?

I found it at trustytime. It was around $240. There is a link in the dealers section. But most, if not all of the dealers that I checked out, had a pretty good selection of datejusts with many different dial and band combinations.