When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rare Doxa Alert

Nanuq

There's a first generation Doxa Sharkhunter SUB 300 (black dial) on the 'Bay right now, in great condition. This is the one with the domed acrylic crystal.

These are getting rare, someone grab it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150804190172

He's also selling a VERY rare SeaRambler SUB 300 (silver dial). It's missing the bezel, but Lani was able to find one... maybe you can too?

http://www.ebay.com/...E-/150804192007

:busted_cop: ALERT ALERT ALERT

No kidding, the first-gen SUB300 are getting hard to find! The domed crystal and low profile make them the most comfy too.

Guest zeleni kukuruz

Love the shark attack!!! And i would have bought it directly if i hade the funds (what will it sell for Nanuq?)

The silver dial melts in with the case too much i think dosent speak to me like the orange one!

The 300's are getting really scarce, so if someone wants a Sharkhunter, this one would be a good one. Just a caveat about the Searambler with no bezel, it's awfully hard to finf the correct bezel. I sent that one to Lani, and it just was a lucky fit! I bought about 4-5 bezels over 5 years, and I only found one that fit, and unfortunately, it fit a Divingstar (Yellow dial) that already had a bezel in almost mint condition. none of the bezels fit my other Doxas. Problem was over the years from the first 300's until the 300T's were discontinued, about 31 different bezel cond=figurations were manufactured. Superficially, they were almost identical, some were a bit thicker. However thye changed up the inner diameters, as wel las the milling on the inside so that they were not interchangable. Another problem, Doxa did not stamp numbers on any of these parts, so you have no way of knowing if a bezel will fit unless you actually try it on your watch.

Here are a few photos of Doxa bezels to illustrate my point.

I believe the one on the top was the one that Fit Lani's watch

post-327-0-26579500-1336614276.jpg

post-327-0-54291600-1336614370.jpg

post-327-0-43042900-1336614430.jpg

Also out there with FIFTEEN HOURS TO GO is a very, very rare "Silver Shark". It's a SUB 300T Sharkhunter with the silver dial.

Take a look:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOXA-SUB-300T-SHARKHUNTER-US-DIVERS-CO-AQUALUNG-SILVER-NYMPH-AUTOMATIC-/150811335875

And it's extremely rare. A handful are known to exist. All other Sharkhunters came with a black dial. Look at that price!

Aaaaarrrrrgggghhhhhhh!!

MUST..NOT..BUY..ANOTHER..DOXA!!

I may just give in this time. I even like the band. :)

Wow, That was a new bidder who "stole" that!

Not another one heading to the RWG Doxa collectors club???

Timing wasn't right for me...but gee, that was an excellent price!

Hope you got it.

Offshore

Not me, I'm focused on the SUB 300s with the big gorgeous domes.

If it didn't come home to RWG we can take solace in the fact the minutes hand was a recent replacement and didn't quiiiiiiite match.

Yeahright ..... like that matters on a Silver Shark. :shock:

Prices for these vintages have been soft for the last couple years. The garden variety SUB 300Ts have been going for $1k ish and a little more.

It's when you get into the rare pieces that prices are still strong. Example: the Doxa Army that sold a few weeks back for $3k. And the SUB 300 Pro that went for $2k. The last Black Lung SUB 300 was over $4k.

So it's an absolute kick in the cajones that this SILVER SHARK went for $910. Un-fricken-believable. :shock: Someone stole that thing.

edit: you want to lose some serious sleep? Search for completed listings, Doxa Sharkhunter. Someone put their Silver Shark up on Buy-It-Now for $399. Good working condition, complete watch. Guess how long that auction lasted?

I suppose prices for these are like most watches, possibly excepting rare Rolexes,Pateks and a few other iconic brands, wax and wane over time. I started looking for Doxas around 2006, most of mine were purchased for around 600-800 USD. Then, it seemed like everyone was looking for old 300's 300T's, etc. before I knew it, the prices were over 1k for just about anything. Folks were paying crazy prices for watches with no bezels, mismatched hands, bad dials, etc. I sold most of mine, as I got frustrated with trying to find parts, plus every watch ended up having to have the movement overhauled.

What I learned from this experience relative to Doxas is this: Some parts are now made from unobtanuium!! Bezels are scarce and usually, unless you are really lucky, don't fit. Beads of Rice bracelets (original ones) are usually beat to hell, stretched, and the micro adjustment that was great when they were new, is worn out.Doxa Crystals and Crystal gaskets, forget about it. That's just a start.Bezels can be repainted, hands and dial relumed , movements overhauled, but outside of that if you need parts, good luck! So my advice to anyone buying vintage Doxas, unless you have a hoard of parts in your parts box, you would be better off spending a little extra money getting one that is complete and possibly restored.