When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega Gmt 2234.50 - Updated

triplehd

Sorry Space, my bad there,

Triplehd actually Pm'ed me telling me that the bezel didnt fit well and i got that mixed up within this thread.

My apologies....

No problem! Seeing all the details here, I think I will put it somewhere down my list.

Right now the PO is king!

I would think the reason the genuine GMT and second hands did not fit is due to the different movements used. the ETA 2836-2 is modified to accomodate a GMT hand, and it does not move like a standard GMT hand - jumping from hour to hour. The movement used in many GMT watches is the ETA 2893, which is in the PAM029 and PAM063. This is still not the same GMT movement as the Omega though.

The Omega GMT uses a custom made movement which has a jumping hour hand - when you pull out to the 2nd crown position - usually used for the date - you can change only the hour setting. This also requires you to cycle around 24 hours to advance the date. The R*l*x GMT-Master II is also similar. I think some newer R*l*x GMT-Master IIs have an independently adjustable hour hand now.

Of the GMT-type watches, I prefer how it is handled in the Omega GMTs rather than the PAMs... I have both.

White dial Omega GMT is really nice :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I would think the reason the genuine GMT and second hands did not fit is due to the different movements used. the ETA 2836-2 is modified to accomodate a GMT hand, and it does not move like a standard GMT hand - jumping from hour to hour. The movement used in many GMT watches is the ETA 2893, which is in the PAM029 and PAM063. This is still not the same GMT movement as the Omega though.

Chronus-

Here's the reason why the Gen second hand and the GMT was not installed (as explained by the master - Joe):

"The second hand has a tube on the back that u press down on the post of the movment, ok well the genuine one is shorter than the rep one, so it will not go down deep enought to secure properly and when u press it all the way down it hits the minute hand, cause the hands r up higher than on the smp to accomadate the xtra gmt hand, therefore no room

the gmt hand oem hole size is almost double smaller than the rep gmt hand hole size, cause the chinese added a third outer wheel and tube and it is really a big hole in diameter compared to the oem gmt hand hole."

Therefore, I am going to contact Paul to see if he has the reps for these 2 hands in the correct lenght.

And so the project continues....... :D

• 7 months later...

As the title says, my Omega GMT has been updated.

Let's recap:

This is what I started with:

Rep Parts:

Omega GMT - 2836 movement (from Paul)

Genuine Parts:

Dial

Hands (HR, Min, Second & GMT)

Bezel

Bezel Insert

Joe performed the original mods back in March by installing the OEM Dial, Hour and Minutes hands. The gen GMT hand will not fit the 2936 movement - it was only made to fit the 2893-A2 movement. Additionally, the OEM bezel with the insert was not used as well.

Fast forward to October. Marrick made it to the States and assisted me with making my GMT looking like the gen. He did a tremendous job with his Omega White GMT project - Marrick's GMT

I sent Marrick my GMT along with the OEM Insert, Gen Second hand and a Rep GMT hand (from Silix) that's a tad bit shorter & smaller than the gen. However, looks a lot better than the usual GMT hand that came with this watch. He was able to sand down the gen bezel insert to fit the rep bezel.

Closeup pic comparing the Gen and the Rep. As you can see the rep GMT hand is a tad bit shorter than the rep and a bit smaller (the arrow part of the hand is smaller in size than the gen).

153657-14238.jpg

And some pics of Marrick's mods......

Nice close up shot of the watch

153657-14239.jpg

Another close up shot of the watch

153657-14240.jpg

Full Shot of the Watch

153657-14241.jpg

Angle Shot

153657-14242.jpg

Another Angle Shot

153657-14243.jpg

Side Shot

153657-14244.jpg

Back Shot

153657-14245.jpg

Lume Shot (Sorry, not the best pic). You can see the difference between the OEM parts' and the rep GMT hand's lume

153657-14246.jpg