When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1016 Project 5: Gen

lhooq

• 4 months later...

UPDATE! 

It took a long search, a bit of cash, and one lost package, but I finally found the missing piece for my 1016.  Can you see it?
i-nd24Qj4-X3.jpg

Can you see it now? 
i-Dbkxpx2-X3.jpg

Yes, I finally found a genuine domed Tropic 22 for my Explorer!  As much as I love the shiny beveled edge of newer crystals on, say, a 6263 Daytona, I believe the dome better suits the character of the 1016.  Plus, it's period-correct for 1969. 

Sadly, I was never able to find a suitable, aftermarket, domed T22, though I came very close with one from AF Switzerland.  (The fit was perfect, but the optics were off.  It made the dial look as if it were surrounded by a thick black gasket.)  However, I have heard about some resourceful types out there who've been grinding the edges off Clark T22s, so there may still be hope for dome lovers.

i-Q7WJjX3-X3.jpg

Edited by LHOOQ

Thank you M, now I'm not sure if I still want to use the service T22 on mine... the dome looks simply gorgeous, I love it!

However, I have heard about some resourceful types out there who've been grinding the edges off Clark T22s, so there may still be hope for dome lovers.

Are you kidding ;)  ?

You you pressure tested the explorer?