When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Snowflake Build Questions

cyphion

Hello,

I was wondering what the ingredients are for building a snowflake. I understand the Yuki or NDT dial, buy my question is more about the case and the DWO. Is it supposed to be a 1680 case or a 5513. I am looking at the date version, so I was thinking a MBK 1680 as a base, and then where to? Also, where to find a DWO? Thanks in advance

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OK, so that's not too bad then. So really its just a case and dial, and as long as its an eta/clone, all should be well?Also seeing as its going to be a date version, then a Clark crystal would be in order, to accommodate the date function?Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Edited by cyphion

That's a good point on the case. Certainly the latter snowflakes in the 9xxx model series were based on the 1680 Submariner date, with a top hat style cyclope plexi - and a 127 will fit a 9411/0, even though a 125 is the correct plexi. The caseback was different, probably to accommodate the Rolex calibre movement?

OK, so that's not too bad then. So really its just a case and dial, and as long as its an eta/clone, all should be well?Also seeing as its going to be a date version, then a Clark crystal would be in order, to accommodate the date function?Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

The clark on a Snowflake is http://www.ebay.com/itm/230748271482 - i have not looked at the Sternkruez - Borel has it - gen: cyclop 125

So the real question is does a 125 fit a 1680? I'm not really concerned with hyper accuracy, I've just always loved the snowflake, and a Gen is out of the question at the moment, so if I can build one up in the $500 price range, that would be perfect.

So after using the fabled Search function ( was on Tapatalk before, and search sucks on that), here is what I'm coming up with:

Josh 5512 - Will it take the 26mm Yuki Dial??? I know the Crown Guards are stumpy, but its ok, hyper accuracy is not an issue.

ETA 2824 to fit the Yuki Dial

Yuki Dial and Hands

Clark 127 or 125??? seeing as how the Yuki stuff is for ETA it should work?

or Option B:

Buy the 5512 with the ETA Clone, and use the movement and crown from that, and then just swap the dial/hands/ crystal with the above mentioned? Option B sounds good on paper, but does it work?

All in all should be under $500

Thanks in advance

Josh 5512 120$

eBay eta 2846 99$

Clark T19 24$

Yuki dial/hands 130$

Gen crown off eBay 60-80$

Clark tube 17$

100$ or so for assembly if somone else does the work.

That's about it. You can make a better snowflake by adding in more gen parts for more money if you'd like.

Josh's crown on that watch is really bad...gens best way there.

So Woof, the 2846, is the same as the 2824 just with the slower beat rate, and less jewels. Also, the 5512 does 100% have the 26mm opening to fit everything?Just want to make sure before I start sourcing everything for it.

Thanks

Snowflakes use high beat movements so a 2846 is pointless due to wrong beat rate.

Keep in mind:

Tropic 125 = eta 2784

Tropic 127 = Rolex 1570

Tropic 144 = eta 2824

Why Tudors use different crystals between 2784 ( what a true snowflake uses) and a 2824 I'm not sure but my guess is for correct date magnification.

Alright, so here is where I am at:

Josh 5512 Case

Yuki Dial and Hands, as they are made for the 2824

ETA 2824, has the correct beat rate, and the date

And a T125 Crystal until I can find the T144, although I've seen different posts regarding the crystal, but the Clark ones are cheap enough that I can try both

Any issues with this build?

Thanks in advance.

While the 2824 may work, the stem height is different than the 2836/2846 and is not your best bet for the Josh 5512 case. For a 28,800 bph movement, go for the 2836. For 21.6k, go for the 2846. Dial feet positions are the same for the movements and the 2824 and they will have the correct stem height for the Josh case. The rest look fine. Yuki's dial are a nice, and I have a blue Yuki 9401 (no-date) dial I'm about to sell since I picked up a gen 9401 service dial. However, if you want a decent dial this seller has some snowflake dials for sale. Jmb used one in a build and seemed pleased with the results.

Thanks for that. I didn't take into account the stem height difference. But ofrei has the movements so they are accessible.

Will there be any special movement holders that I will need, or will everything just drop in. Also, should I just get the 2836 clone movement from josh and do a dial/hand swap. That seems like it could be the easiest way, unless I'm missing something. His more expensive 5512 has a clone 2836, so that should work OK?

Thanks for that. I didn't take into account the stem height difference. But ofrei has the movements so they are accessible.

Will there be any special movement holders that I will need, or will everything just drop in. Also, should I just get the 2836 clone movement from josh and do a dial/hand swap. That seems like it could be the easiest way, unless I'm missing something. His more expensive 5512 has a clone 2836, so that should work OK?

This latter option seems to make a lot of sense to me?

Why not start with the clone in the case - the saving over the Ofrei movement will buy you a great dial and more?

Off piste a little, but this makes me think it would make more sense to use a Clark 125 on the eta built 1680s - it might align the cyclop better? But the date wheel might still be a little to the left in the dial window?

Actually, yes. This makes the most sense, at least to me. This way you won't have to worry about swapping the crown to a new stem, plus the Asian 2836 is a cheaper upgrade than a brand new movement from Ofrei.

Also, I am not sure if the Asian 2836-powered Josh 5512 has a date mechanism installed. Perhaps someone else can chime in on that. That may affect your decision - You would need to build a no-date snowflake (9401) and use a Tropic 19 crystal.

Edited by Datlore001

Or possibly just add the date wheel, because there are plenty of datewheels on the bay?

Right. It could be that simple. Someone needs to confirm, though. And you have to be careful where you order your DWs from - I've ordered a couple from vacheron_nl and they've been good, maybe even gen (or at least as far as I can tell) while the ones from wholesaleoutlet990 are garbage.