When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Santa? Santa, Where Are You?

Physher007

So, christmas is coming up and I have decided get a watch for both of my brothers and my father.

The dilemma: I am having a hard time deciding on what to get them, and from whom. Ideally I would get them all from the same person, one foul swoop (Better yet, they would be here in the states?)

So here's the deal I am looking for a dress watch for my dad (maybe a daytona?) he's an executive and only wears a watch when he's dressed up.

One of my brothers is a cop in Chicago and he wants something thats not flashy and that he can wear at work (bell and ross??) so its gotta be solid (he has an MP5 in his trunk for christ's sake)

The other brother works for Random House in Manhattan, but he just got the job so he's got no money! I was thinking a kind of dressy pam, maybe a 231, maybe a black seal?

(btw, they are identical twins - but which ones evil?)

Santa, I need you know more than ever. I am having a helluva time deciding exactly what to get these guys, but I definitely want quality watches that I can be assure will last along time.

So, I throw myself at the mercy of RWG! What do you think?

Oh, and I was thinking of a box to go with the each of them - if I decide on a watch brand without rep boxes, any suggestions on nice presentation boxes?

Edited by Physher007

Chicago cops get MP5s? Damn... the windy city must be worse off than I thought :D

Some of the Omegas are pretty nice and might suite the dad... or even a nice TT yachtmaster.

For cop brother maybe an Ingneiur?

For other brother... I have no idea...

But seriously... cops get MP5s in Chicago?

(btw, they are identical twins - but which ones evil?)

Well I hope it's not the one with the MP5 :blink:

What about one of TTK's gold Pateks for your Father

For the first brother I agree with Deve, an Ingneiur looks like any other watch until you get a close look a Bell and Ross on the other hand is sure to draw attention.

And for the second Brother maybe a Vacheron Oversea's?

Ken

The Omega Devilles are beautiful - but before christmas? I am running out of time (pun?)

Also, I think he would like a Chrono.

VC Overseas Is a good idea, thank you. I never would have considered that watch

@dave: He is on call SWAT, hence the MP5

@kenberg: TTK's Patek, the new Rose gold? That is a good looking watch

Thanks guys

As an owner of both the VC Overseas and the IWC Ingy.... either is a good choice... The Ingy feels more substantial to me... but the design of the VC is a bit less 70's... The VC has been my favorite for many years, but the recently arived Ingy has monopolized my wrist time... I guess thats what happens when you have two watches by the same designer... I think the VC is a bit dressier and the Ingy is a bit more a basic design... my .02cents.

As for being good for your brothers line of work... lets just say I have several close friend who are police officers, not me mind you... <_< and they have found that the VC and the Ingy are good choices for uniform wear... not too flashy...

Other good, non-flashy choices would be pretty much any dive watch... Omega probably being the most "attainable" of the nicer brands for most officers... A suprising number of police officers and firefighters (frequently supervisors and older guys) in my area wear gen black subs... so I'd say avoid that particular model.

As to carrying an MP5 in the car... not as odd as you may think. Many departments have found that the shotgun that everyone expects in the car is great at nice short ranges... but seriously lacks stopping power at ranges over about 50yards... small carbines like the MP5 or the M4 my friends department issues shine at those ranges... lessons learned after the North Hollywood Bank Robbery back in the day.

Oh, and for the most part, your average police officer doesn't give two thirds of a rats rear about rep watches... many are actually very intrigued by em... I know of several officers that wear em daily.

True on all accounts... the mp5 is excellent for entry, is indimidating, and is so accurate and easy to shoot Michael J Fox could hit Rush Limbaugh at 100 yards, meds or no meds.

My brother certainly has no problems with reps. He definitely wants one but I don't think he wants to put in the kind of time it takes to reserach them.

So I've been leaning toward omega for Him, I have never had much interest in them but the PO's are kind of nice. Also, there is a Seamaster I have a chance at. Any advice here? How might it compare to a Navi?

So I take it an mp5 isn't an advanced digitally compressed data music player then? :unsure:

JTB

@jtb...At the risk of going off topic... MP5s produce something that is music to my ears...I think they are a bit more of the Analog end of the spectrum than Digital though...The nice soft "chuff" of the SD model with sub-sonic rounds is a very moving sound...

@Physher...

Sadly Physher... I'm a bit behind on the Navi's... not a big B fan... too cluttered of a dial imho. I will say that I have a 42.5mm PO 4th gen... its a beaut, as long as the clasp is nice and tight... I got mine recently from Joshua... nice AR coat, tight clasp, almost perfect... The SMP with the black bezel is a classic... TTK showed one today, very beautiful, my next gen me thinks...

Pretty much all of the watches suggested are great pieces... the VC is a great dressy watch (but not too dressy)... the Ingy is a tank of a watch and very beautiful... the Omega divers are a nice classic rugged look that doesn't scream Fake like the rollie tends too.... I don't think your going to go wrong in any way your thinking.