When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fitting genuine insert on upo 45mm guide (picture update)

the_rymeister

Great work Ry and great pics, the pearl is always a issue with me, mods can be done well but it's very hard to compete with proper bezel. Next move now will be the AR, even if you dont get a gen (which are a bit crazy in price) something like Taka AR on rep crystal is extremely close in transparency to the omega double AR. Good transparency really makes the dial and lume pop. Chief does very similar also.

Back to the PO insert topic for a second, we all know that you can do a gen pearl mod to an aftermarket insert. In photos (if the pearl mod is done well) the bezel looks great. But once you have it done and on the wrist there's a few things you realize. The aftermarket insert has a much different finish than the gen. The gen has this reflective gloss or whatever and it cant be replicated. The quality of the printing is not as crisp and after excessive wrist time the rep insert fades fast. Especially the edges.

I realize gen bezels are gen bezels and you cant compare a $25 rep insert to them, but I just wanted to point a few things out for those who haven't don't the mod. I too went to a gen bezel and I could never go back :)

cfdb458e-7e76-2c3f.jpg

Edited by om3ga_guy

JB Weld :huh: I hope you never want to take the pieces apart... I just use hypo cement for bezel inserts. Also, I install the insert after the bezel is on the watch, to make sure the triangle is lined up to the 12. Looks like you got yours right though. Did you mark it or something?

JB Weld :huh: I hope you never want to take the pieces apart... I just use hypo cement for bezel inserts. Also, I install the insert after the bezel is on the watch, to make sure the triangle is lined up to the 12. Looks like you got yours right though. Did you mark it or something?

I didn't want it to fall off :), I marked the lines up to the points on the bezel teeth so it would be exactly on the click of 12oclock :)

Back to the PO insert topic for a second, we all know that you can do a gen pearl mod to an aftermarket insert. In photos (if the pearl mod is done well) the bezel looks great. But once you have it done and on the wrist there's a few things you realize. The aftermarket insert has a much different finish than the gen. The gen has this reflective gloss or whatever and it cant be replicated. The quality of the printing is not as crisp and after excessive wrist time the rep insert fades fast. Especially the edges.

I realize gen bezels are gen bezels and you cant compare a $25 rep insert to them, but I just wanted to point a few things out for those who haven't don't the mod. I too went to a gen bezel and I could never go back :)

cfdb458e-7e76-2c3f.jpg

Looks great buddy

I wonder why the bezel construction is so different on the rep? You'd think there wasn't any real reason to not do the genuine system?

The only explanation I can come up with is needing more surface area for the insert to adhere to, allowing lower tolerances between the two parts, vs the snap in fitting that the real part uses.

I wonder why the bezel construction is so different on the rep? You'd think there wasn't any real reason to not do the genuine system?

The only explanation I can come up with is needing more surface area for the insert to adhere to, allowing lower tolerances between the two parts, vs the snap in fitting that the real part uses.

I think you are right, the Omega method requires tighter tolerances and repeatability. High end watches are fine pieces of engineering, goes some way to the difference in cost!

I think Ofrei has Gen. crystals for around $181.00 USD. You really should think about topping off the fine job you did with the insert with a Gen crystal and consider it done.

Can someone please help me find this on the Ofrei site?

This here looks like Crystal for the right case number [45mm PO] but is $36.00 so obviously not right!

http://www.ofrei.com/page_168.html#13466

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, I'm about to attempt this shortly and have the watch stripped down but cannot get the bezel off. Since the crystal etc is now out do I really need to keep fighting with the Bezel or can I just follow The_Rymeister's steps except with the bezel attached to the watch? Assume a little bit of heat and the insert will come off cleanly. Thanks.

Edited by toasternz

Hi toasternz the bezel shouldn't be too much of a problem removing, all I done was simply push a case back knife or a sharp thin knife between the bezel and one of the watch lugs and it pooped straight off, may be worth putting a piece of tape over the.ug your going to lever on to stop danages, but it should nt be hard work to remove.

Also the mod would be a lot easier with the bezel off the watch, hope this helps buddy :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi toasternz the bezel shouldn't be too much of a problem removing, all I done was simply push a case back knife or a sharp thin knife between the bezel and one of the watch lugs and it pooped straight off, may be worth putting a piece of tape over the.ug your going to lever on to stop danages, but it should nt be hard work to remove.

Also the mod would be a lot easier with the bezel off the watch, hope this helps buddy :)

Thanks mate, worked out well in the end, you can see the result here:

http://www.rwg.cc/to...ing-gen-vs-rep/

I still wasn't able to get the bezel off so did the mod with the bezel attached and the crystal out, to be honest that worked really well!

Edited by toasternz