When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help: Identify Movement

Gw4k

Before you try to work on the movement...push the detent button and remove the stem. Then push the detent button again and insert the stem as far as it will go while slowly twisting it back and forth a few degrees and release the button. Pull out on the crown and see if it will click out into setting position. If it does, push the crown in to winding position and see if you can wind the watch. If it will set and wind...it is Ok. If not, read the paragraph below.

That is a Seagull ST6D. They are easy to work on, but only after you memorize how the autowind assembly goes back together. To fix what is wrong (set lever out of position) you need to remove the aw assembly first, but there is always catch...if there is any power on the mainspring, little bitty stuff will fly everywhere when you remove the two screws that hold the aw assembly together. Anyway, what has to be done after removing the aw assembly is to remove the screw from the big wheel on the mainspring bridge and then remove the mainspring bridge. Next, take the two little gears out of the slot where the stem went through them to expose the set lever and push the set lever back into place and put it all back together.

Nothin' to it. I have had so many of these cussed ST6 set levers slip by that I can reset the set lever in about 10 or 12 minutes. I am not bragging, I am complaining.

Some tips on the ST6D...

It has a plastic date part or two and if you try to quick set the date while it is changing, it can break a plastic part and the date will not work properly.

You can let the power off the mainspring by placing a screwdriver in the screw in the center of the big wheel on the ms bridge and tightening it a tiny bit to take tension off the click spring and then move the click spring away from the ms wheel teeth while slowly letting the power off the ms by allowing the screwdriver to turn as the ms unwinds. This sounds a lot more complicated than it really is.

Or you can do what I do...unscrew the screw on the big wheel and lift the wheel off and let it 'fly down' all at once. This is against all proper procedure but it is quick and easy. After all...it's a $15 movement.

If you break anything, let me know and I will send the parts gratis...for some reason I have a lot of leftovers.

Edited by automatico
  • Like 2

Before you try to work on the movement...push the detent button and remove the stem. Then push the detent button again and insert the stem as far as it will go while slowly twisting it back and forth a few degrees and release the button. Pull out on the crown and see if it will click out into setting position. If it does, push the crown in to winding position and see if you can wind the watch. If it will set and wind...it is Ok. If not, read the paragraph below.

That is a Seagull ST6D. They are easy to work on, but only after you memorize how the autowind assembly goes back together. To fix what is wrong (set lever out of position) you need to remove the aw assembly first, but there is always catch...if there is any power on the mainspring, little bitty stuff will fly everywhere when you remove the two screws that hold the aw assembly together. Anyway, what has to be done after removing the aw assembly is to remove the screw from the big wheel on the mainspring bridge and then remove the mainspring bridge. Next, take the two little gears out of the slot where the stem went through them to expose the set lever and push the set lever back into place and put it all back together.

Nothin' to it. I have had so many of these cussed ST6 set levers slip by that I can reset the set lever in about 10 or 12 minutes. I am not bragging, I am complaining.

Some tips on the ST6D...

It has a plastic date part or two and if you try to quick set the date while it is changing, it can break a plastic part and the date will not work properly.

You can let the power off the mainspring by placing a screwdriver in the screw in the center of the big wheel on the ms bridge and tightening it a tiny bit to take tension off the click spring and then move the click spring away from the ms wheel teeth while slowly letting the power off the ms by allowing the screwdriver to turn as the ms unwinds. This sounds a lot more complicated than it really is.

Or you can do what I do...unscrew the screw on the big wheel and lift the wheel off and let it 'fly down' all at once. This is against all proper procedure but it is quick and easy. After all...it's a $15 movement.

If you break anything, let me know and I will send the parts gratis...for some reason I have a lot of leftovers.

Awesome post thanks.

I was told to do exactly what you posted. The Release button was stuck on the down position.

So I kept the button pressed and kept taking the crown/stem in and out, wiggling trying to get the button unstuck....then I broke the stem!

All in all, I think I mucked the keyless works in there. I ordered new DG2813s and stems from Ofrei and will use this movement as a practice movement to take apart and put together.

Thanks for the post again, I will take it apart and learn on this one.