When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

AP Chronopassion, which version to get? I need advice, please!

Hi friends,

after owning a couple of reps from others brands, i think it´s time to get a good AP ROO rep.

The Chronopassion amazes me the most. So i´ll go for it.

Problem i have, beeing a noob on AP, are the different versions out there for the Chronopassion. For example Puretime, he has 5 different versions and i don´t get the differences.

So AP-Pros, please give me some advice which version to get and why!

grtz from Germany

As far as i know, even with the various version on their site, with regards to AP Chronopassion, you will be advise or automatically get the version 5 and unlike other rep where sometimes the older version might be better than newer ones, the V5 is the best and with latest updates mainly concentrating on a as per gen bead blasted titanium caseback and updated AR cyclops..

It is a mod to round of the edges of the pushers, on the gen they are rounded, on the rep they are not, if you are asking for this it will be another flaw that will be gone. But they charge you for it while it's a job you can do you yourself with a dremel

Hi Edge, haha we spoke almost the same thing in a minute, yeah i did it myself too with a nail filer :-P

I own and love the CP but if you are a noob to AP's I do have to warn you that they are scratch magnets and you can't repair them without getting someone to re- sand blast wherever the damage is. I do still swear by it as my favorite AP rep. The ti ROO's wear much lighter than the SS version.

I own and love the CP but if you are a noob to AP's I do have to warn you that they are scratch magnets and you can't repair them without getting someone to re- sand blast wherever the damage is. I do still swear by it as my favorite AP rep. The ti ROO's wear much lighter than the SS version.

Do you know if this is true for the gen as well?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Titanium is a well known scratch magnet. There's nothing you can do about that. Ask any owner of a DSSD about their case back.

Bead blasted surfaces are harder to maintain, since you can not simply drag a finishing pad across it to erase scuffs.

I have an AP CP coming in 2 days with some scratches. I have some scrap Ti bar stock that I will test blast. My wife has a 6ft. long blasting cabinet and I've bought 5 types of blasting media to play with, as well as smaller hose tips for small parts. I'll report back as soon as possible.

Her blasting cabinet...

blaster02.jpg

Inside...

blaster01.jpg

• Like 1

Uhhh .... your wife is awesome.

Yeah I lucked out. And the guy that has the space next to her studio is a machinist who lets me use one of his lathes and drill press when he's not busy. I only have to provide my own tool bits. As far as knowing how to actually use them... not so much... LOL

bezelMod01.jpg

screws03.jpg

The Chronopassion is on my wishlist for some time now, but I remember hearing bad things about the chrono reliability of those watches. Meaning that in a few months, you're almost guaranteed to lose the chrono function, and for that kind of money that's hard to accept.

The Chronopassion is on my wishlist for some time now, but I remember hearing bad things about the chrono reliability of those watches. Meaning that in a few months, you're almost guaranteed to lose the chrono function, and for that kind of money that's hard to accept.

I have had 2 of the sec at 12 versions with no issues with the chrono function. A 3rd for me is on the way and the previous owner has had it for almost a year with no chrono issues either. But if you are concerned, it's not a bad idea to get the movement serviced, especially autos with a chrono function.