When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Does the Rolex GMT Master II 16710 and Explorer II 16570 except a gen/aftermarket crystal?

Guest Daytona1984

thanks guys for your help :-)

is there any way to mod the 16710 case that the crystal will fit?

I noticed in using UV cement on acrylic crystals that when you try to remove the crystal part of it breaks where mounted because of the strength of the UV cement. So I bought a sapphire crystal from Clark's without the etched crown for my 16710 'retro'. I sanded down the gasket to the right height. Removed the insert. put the cement in the case crystal groove, and laid the crystal and gasket in. Then I used the insert to center it. That left a gap between the gasket and the wall of the case crystal groove. I filled that all around with UV cement. Centered again with the insert and carefully put it all in the direct sunlight for a good half hour. I screwed the crown in place, greased the caseback gasket and tightened it, and put it all in a bucket of water. Not a single tiny bubble. It is not waterproofed, nor would I pressure test it, but that is good enough for me. It is centered, the cyclops lines up perfectly, it looks much better and it's held for about a year now.

The 16710 was my first favorite and all I had wanted until I found these forums. Now I wear the vintage GMTs more. But if I were starting new today, had one main watch for everyday, I would do this http://www.rwg.cc/to...07#entry1089607 I just might someday. That is in my opinion the best way to build a 16710.

I noticed in using UV cement on acrylic crystals that when you try to remove the crystal part of it breaks where mounted because of the strength of the UV cement. So I bought a sapphire crystal from Clark's without the etched crown for my 16710 'retro'. I sanded down the gasket to the right height. Removed the insert. put the cement in the case crystal groove, and laid the crystal and gasket in. Then I used the insert to center it. That left a gap between the gasket and the wall of the case crystal groove. I filled that all around with UV cement. Centered again with the insert and carefully put it all in the direct sunlight for a good half hour. I screwed the crown in place, greased the caseback gasket and tightened it, and put it all in a bucket of water. Not a single tiny bubble. It is not waterproofed, nor would I pressure test it, but that is good enough for me. It is centered, the cyclops lines up perfectly, it looks much better and it's held for about a year now.

The 16710 was my first favorite and all I had wanted until I found these forums. Now I wear the vintage GMTs more. But if I were starting new today, had one main watch for everyday, I would do this http://www.rwg.cc/to...07#entry1089607 I just might someday. That is in my opinion the best way to build a 16710.

This mean case soi NOT 1:1................