When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Unusal Request form Seller

vlydog

I recently discovered a vintage Rolex collector and seller of watches and parts. He is located in the EU. He has a part that I'm interested in buying. I asked him to send an invoice and he responded with, what I think is, an unusual request.

In addition to the standard address request he also requested place and date of birth.

Doesn't that seem a little odd?

very odd

i have been in the jewellery and watch trade more than 15years and have never been asked or asked for my date of birth and any new company i deal with with the current state of the worlds finances everyone wants to use pro-forma invoices so your request is very normal

very odd

i have been in the jewellery and watch trade more than 15years and have never been asked or asked for my date of birth and any new company i deal with with the current state of the worlds finances everyone wants to use pro-forma invoices so your request is very normal

Maybe it is a language thing too. I was requesting a paypal invoice.

Thanks for your response

In addition to the standard address request he also requested place and date of birth.

I would never divulge that sort of information to someone casually. It is often used as a part of security questions for verifying various online transactions. I'm not saying that this guy is anything other than trustworthy, I am just saying that this sort of information should be regarded as sensitive. Ask him why he wants it.

If I was pfishing for your SS number info I'd be very happy to have your place and date of birth to work with......Just saying.... :pimp: :pimp:

You are absolutely correct! He has your credit card number, probably your PIN number as well, now if he has your SSN, date of birth and place of birth, very easy to pay a couple of bucks and get a whole lot more info. Then he can use your card online and he can probably answer most all of the secuity questions. With AMEX, to get into my account with someone from AMEX on the telephone, they ask for your last 4 digits of your social, date of birth and sometimes your mothers maiden name. Gets all your account info, and he's off to the races!!

Not saying that this guy is really "phishing", but it would certainly not be out of line to ask why he wants to know these things.