When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dealer servicing, worth it or not?

hi all,

What are you thoughts on dealer servicing? I know its tough to think of the dealers offering this type of servicing for their watches but Angus at PT is offering this service and has hired a dedicated in-house watchsmith. We all know the hit and miss with these movements coming from the rep factories so I was wondering if it is worth the additional cost to make sure things are done right from the beginning. BTW, his service is $100 and that includes full teardown of movement with ultrasonic cleaning of parts + reassembly, regulation of movement to + or - 5 secs/day, and waterproofing (pressure test). Seems like a good bargain for the amount of work to be done BUT again we don't know if indeed it is being performed and to what extent and level of competence.

I'm in touch with Angus and asked that his watchsmith send me detailed pics of the teardown of the movement and reassembly as I would like to post several reviews of the watches for others to see and help with their future decisions on purchases and also if they would like to have additional servicing. Guess I could be the guinea pig for others. I can see his point and vision of having a ONE STOP SHOP for the watches he offers as it would make things alot easier for people who are ordering to not have to ship there watches off after receiving them for further modding!!

Would like to know your thoughts on if you guys think the servicing would be a good idea DIRECTLY from Angus or should and could a servicing be better performed by an aftermarket watch smith such as Domi, The Zigmeister, or Vac?

Well, in general it is usually not a real watchsmith doing the dealer servicing and it is typically not a real (teardown) service you would get.

But Angus is trying to break that model and the jury is still out as to whether his person is a competent watchsmith.

It would be nice if Angus showed up here and educated us but he seems to like hanging out on the forum leading in downtime. Perhaps he feels a veteran forum will lead to more scrutiny then a forum frequented by newer watch forum nuts :g:

For me, I'll stick with who I know - Ziggy.

No I wouldn`t, Dealers are selling this service with just their word. Guess what, if it does crap out just send it back to China.... And months later find out if it made it back to them if at all... And if not your s**t out of luck.

Save your hard earned money and send it to a trusted watchsmith listed here ( Vac is in the States ) and have piece of mind for your money spent.

Pizz