When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM Callous Syndrome

Finepics

By chance, was it the PVD one, Mark?

Hardly to judge from pics only, but that inflammatory reaction does not look due to mechanical pressure, but rather to some allergic response.

In any case, just rest (1) and some topic steroid medication will do the job.

(1) wear your watch on your right wrist for some days -- another watch is recommended though ;)

I once had a same problem like yours, skin allergic caused by lower grade stainless steel :angry: However not everyone will be effected by it and too bad we're the victim, try to wash down your wrist as well as the watch with antiseptic soap in between especially your're a sweaty type( Of which I am ) :winkiss: Maybe this will helps if you're wearing the watch over a long period of time :winkiss:

Don't think it's allergic. When wearing a standard rep bracelet, which most probably has sharp edges, it happens very often that outter skin gets rubbed... try touching the skin, it should feel smooth as hell, like you worked on it with sanding paper... It's plain normal, had that too!

The spots are at a lug position - and at the CG position... :) clearly no allergy..y

I beg your pardon, but surely it can be allergic as long as the case and the caseback are made of different materials (as, e.g., in a PVD coated watch).

Anyway, since Finepics is inclined to exclude allergy too, I'll rely upon his and your diagnosis. :)

This was mainly from my fiddy. Everytime I bend my wrist the CG digs into the hand and it rubs on the wrist bone as well.

Ah, a 47 mm. Then all is clear. :lol:

I did not get one of those giants so far for similar reasons.

:lol: It's not an allergy but just a consequence of the CG and caseback rubbing the skin!! Not painful or anything like that - just one of them things!!

My first reaction ... eek! :o

Wear the watch on your right hand, I've always done this to stop the crown digging into my hand as I wear it pretty low down right up against my hand. This is even more necessary on a PAM! Also a reason I havent got a lefty PAM yet.

I think it is metal-induced allergic contact dermatitis..

It is an allergic skin reaction to metal...especially to nickel.

You can confirm it yourself by checking if it happens on your belly skin with belt buckles..

It rarely happens with SS..maybe the CG of your watch contains Nickel in it..

It can be easily treated with topical corticosteroid..and oral antihistamines would help,too.

But the 1st line of therapy is avoiding long term contact with metal containing nickel.

If you can't leave your lovely watch, just take it off during the exercise..because sweating makes it worse..

I'm a doctor..guess you can believe me..

Edited by nardis

Thanks for all the advice guys but the clue was in the title - the area on the back of the hand is like a callous - a toughened area of skin from the CG rubbing over the past year!! The wrist bone is the same (I have a fairly prominent bone) and is abrasion rather than reaction. The pics were just a quick snapshot without spending ages correcting it so they look more red than they actually are.