When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Doxa Black Lung

Nanuq

Spotted this morning on FleaBay, a Black Lung SUB300. It looks to be in good shape, but the crystal looks odd. He said he had it replaced with sapphire... I'd want to see a profile closeup of that!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1967-DOXA-Sub-300-Professional-True-U-S-Diver-Aqua-lung-Logo-/190689033456

Spotted this morning on FleaBay, a Black Lung SUB300. It looks to be in good shape, but the crystal looks odd. He said he had it replaced with sapphire... I'd want to see a profile closeup of that!

http://www.ebay.com/...o-/190689033456

I agree the crystal sure looks like and acrylic to me. look at the scratches at 6. Another thing, I don't know how they would get a sapphire crystal to fit. I would say that considering it has this dodgy crystal and a cheap oyster bracelet, his asking price is a bit on the high side. Doxas were as hot as a 3 dollar pistol a few years ago, but it sort of looks like the demand has cooled some. Some of that I believe is from folks buying one that needs work, and then finding out that replacement parts are non existent!! Unfortunately, there isn't a Vintage Doxa Forum and Marketplace like Rolex has. Better have the parts in hand before buying the watch. I can speak from experience, I had several that were never restored to the level I would have liked, simply because there weren't any parts available.

I wonder if it means he cobbled on a funky crystal and it's not waterproof anymore? :g: I'd really want to see some closeup profile shots of that puppy.

The Black Lung is rare as an honest politician, but like P153 said, if it needs parts, you're pretty much out of luck. This one makes 11 examples that I know of, worldwide.

Saw that one, asked him for some pics of the sides and questioned him on the "saffire" crystal replacement and from whom. All in all though the case & bezel looks to be in good condition, Imo the glass is original and just spoutin off for the sale end of it. Dial looks nice too...

Hope this puppy brings about some premium bids in the end.

He probably shot himself ini the foot with his description. Most serious Doxa collectors wouldn't pay a premium for one that may be hard to bring back to original. Sounds like the fellow has owned the watch from new, but obviously doesn't know too much about Doxas. Probably should have read some of Dr. Peter Millar's articles or better get a copy of his book at least to look at and see what he has. The reason i said that i felt like it was overpriced, was simply the fact that he is asking what a really nice watch with a good Beads of Rice bracelet and the correct crystal/gasket, etc.would bring.

I have been through the ordeals of trying to restore Doxas. I had a French Navy issue Doxa 300T Divingstar at RWG in Pennsylvania (they were the official Doxa repair center in the USA) for over a year while thye searched for a crystal gasket and a new crystal. After a year, they sent the watch back to me unfixed. They just couldn't find the parts, and they were Doxas official repair center! Jack Alexyon at IWW was finally able to find a crystal and gasket, but it took another 6-8 months of looking. If I had the parts at hand I would buy this 300 Black Lung in a heart beat, but I don't so I wouldn't. I used to be a regular on the WUS Doxa forum, and there were always guys buying beat up Watches or watches missing bezels, crowns, etc. and it was sad to see the futility that they exibited when a project couldn't be completed. Lots of Doxas probably got recycled on Ebay after the buyers realized they couldn't find parts for them.

I tend to agree about the glass. It really looks like the original or darn good replacement acrylic. Hard to but certainly not impossible to get those types of scuffs and scratches on Sapphire.

As to "Diving days are over" I would bet that when he got the watch serviced, they ran a pressure check and it failed, either that or at some point, he got moisture inside. If the crystal was changed, and they couldn't find the proper crystal gasket (unobtanium) or case O-ring, etc. the watchmaker may have told him, "don't get it wet!"

• 2 weeks later...

Saw that one, asked him for some pics of the sides and questioned him on the "saffire" crystal replacement and from whom. All in all though the case & bezel looks to be in good condition, Imo the glass is original and just spoutin off for the sale end of it. Dial looks nice too...

Hope this puppy brings about some premium bids in the end.

Ron??