When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Suggestions for Addition to Collection (have a Gen 14060 already)

Rasta

Looking for some suggestions for an addition to my collection. I have had a gen 14060 for many years and after paying over $1,000 for service decided I needed something else as a daily wearer. The only thing I don't like about the 14060 now is the 40mm size which seems small to me now. I do not like the DeepSea SeaDwellers due to the "original gas..." lettering inside the crystal. Any suggestions on which rep Rolex to get? Also, I am a total newbie so please be as specific as possible as there seem to be many versions of each watch. I have had a decent transaction with TrustyTime so I would probably use him again?

post-45644-0-73007900-1341331636_thumb.j

Looks nice, what "year" is it?

I'm not that big a fan of the hockey-puck DSSD anymore but if you want something with a date and no "wart" on the crystal a regular Sea Dweller might fit the bill. If you go "vintage" then the sky's the limit as far as choices go...

My gen is approximately a 1993. Sorry the picture is bad but the protective plastic was still on it when it came back from Dallas Rolex service.

I like the modern SeaDweller a lot (not a cyclops fan). Is it 44mm or is that only the DeepSea SeaDweller that is that big?

The Explorer II in white could fit the bill as well.

What website and which exact model would I see the best rep choices?

Which of these TrustyTIme choices? Other than movement what is the difference? Is there a better alternative?

ROLSD023 - Classic Sea Dweller Asian-2813

Classic Sea Dweller Ultimate Version!!! A Special Project.... Made with a Genuine Sea Dweller M Series... Fully Dissected... 1 : 1 Copy for Case... $128.00

Add:

07310649f3457439cdd6f9cc060f053e.image.160x106.jpg

ROLSD021 - Classic Sea Dweller SS Black Asian 2836-2

Classic Sea Dweller Ultimate Version with Superlume Dial!!! A Special Project.... Made with a Genuine Sea Dweller M Series... Fully Dissected... 1 :... $248.00

Add:

e3a9db40562415cba7a203554bc03cab.image.160x106.jpg

ROLSD022 - Classic Sea Dweller SS Black Swiss 2836-2

Classic Sea Dweller Ultimate Version with Superlume Dial!!! A Special Project.... Made with a Genuine Sea Dweller M Series... Fully Dissected...... $338.00

Add:

1d8645ff0d8e43ab41d3ebe3937133d1.image.160x106.jpg

ROLSD018 - Sea Dweller SS Black Swiss Eta 2836-2

MOVEMENT: Swiss Eta 2836-2 Automatic Movement CASE DIAMETER: 41mm THICKNESS: 14.5mm DIAL COLOR: Black Dial, White Dot markers CASE MATERIAL:...

Modern sapphire SeaDweller is 40mm but it's alot taller/thicker than a sub and it wears bigger.

Those are all the same watch, the new superlumed SD. It's a pretty nice watch out of the box. Only mod needed is a gen insert or a wm pearl. The difference between them is just the movement.

I think you'll like the SD, your used to your 14060, the SD will feel much bigger and meatier :)

This is that watch, the new superlumed SD I put a gen insert in for a friend.

11ddae71.jpg

I'm more of a vintage fan, but i do have a "P" serial 16610. Like you, I'm pretty put off by the prices that Rolex Services Centers charge. i would probably send mine to a Rolex certified watchmaker rather than a RSC, but that's a moot point in your case.

As far as a replacement for everyday wear, the modern superlumed sub is pretty nice. I may be wrong, but i believe i read that there is one available now by TC (I believe) that is supposedly the same sub that WM9 was working on a couple of years back. That's a long story for another day, but I would do a bit of research on this forum and decide what you want. I would say that the big tell is going to be the bezel insert, so a new genuine insert and pearl would make it look a lot better. later on if you want to do more, you can replace the crown, tube and crystal. Get it waterproofed and you're good to go.

I have a 14060 rep which I wear regular, the SD I have is pretty much the same size but as the guys have said it just feels that much bigger on your wrist as it's thicker ;) in saying all that my new fav is the Tc Sub I got recently, just oozes quality and paired with a gen insert looks great too.

1-IMG_0715.jpg

1-IMG_0869.jpg