When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken PO 42mm...work in progress

danza1812

Heres my Franken po.

So far it has gen dial, hands, eta dw, he valve, crown and tube.

The gen crystal arrived last week, I took this quick snap to show how it will look over the dial (when I manage to source a rep gasket!)

It appears to be the new style crystal with a more subtle blue hue to it. I have to say I like it. Bezel will be ordered later this month and maybe some gen endlinks or a rubber strap.

What do you think so far?

b7ce46a8.jpg141b09e4.jpg

• 1 month later...

That looks great. :clap2:

I've got a 42mm PO coming from Trevor. A franken, like that, is my goal, though I'm thinking of swapping in a cal 2500 as well (with a bit of case modding to accommodate the shorter stem height).

Unless you can source the parts cheaper than ofrei and cousins I'm afraid a build like that would rack up to be more than a decent used gen. Mines total cost was pushing it tbh.

Unless you can source the parts cheaper than ofrei and cousins I'm afraid a build like that would rack up to be more than a decent used gen. Mines total cost was pushing it tbh.

Your absolutely right, so did mine...

Note: I have a UPO HE valve and gen bracelet though...

Great job Danza!

post-33716-134531548749.jpg

post-33716-134531549703.jpg

Great watches! Arent't you guys afraid that the investment and value of these great franken pieces will be a lot less when the first new PO's are coming from the factory later this year, with maybe the same quality as current Panerais from Noob factory?

Great watches! Arent't you guys afraid that the investment and value of these great franken pieces will be a lot less when the first new PO's are coming from the factory later this year, with maybe the same quality as current Panerais from Noob factory?

I've learnt that despite the money one puts into a Franken, they are never an investment and almost always never sell for anywhere near the actual cost of the build. Bottom line is; Reps will always be reps. My advice is if youre building a Franken, build it with a view to keeping it and enjoy the process. I love the feeling of having an aesthetically identical replica watch for less than half the price of a newish gen. That way I can have more of the watches I love to wear and can be very proud of what's on my wrist knowing its been my hobby for the last 6 months.

• Like 1

There were two NOS 2500s on the 'Bay for under $300 recently, but I waited too long and they're both gone. I've got 2836s, 2824s and a nice 2892 sitting here I can use as well. ofrei is where I've sourced Omega parts, in the past, save a lucky eBay score or two.

I haven't seen a gen 42mm PO, in excellent or better condition, for less than 2.2k. If I could build a near-gen (save the case) for ~1.3k, it might be worthwhile. IMO, of course. Plus, I really like modding, which is the primary driver for doing such things.

Either way, a bezel, dial and hands swap is almost certain. If I find myself absolutely in love with the watch, I might sell off several pieces to fund a gently used gen, but that's not nearly as much fun. ;-)

We'll have to see what materializes, if anything. New models aren't always a 100% step forward.

There were two NOS 2500s on the 'Bay for under $300 recently, but I waited too long and they're both gone. I've got 2836s, 2824s and a nice 2892 sitting here I can use as well. ofrei is where I've sourced Omega parts, in the past, save a lucky eBay score or two.

I haven't seen a gen 42mm PO, in excellent or better condition, for less than 2.2k. If I could build a near-gen (save the case) for ~1.3k, it might be worthwhile. IMO, of course. Plus, I really like modding, which is the primary driver for doing such things.

Either way, a bezel, dial and hands swap is almost certain. If I find myself absolutely in love with the watch, I might sell off several pieces to fund a gently used gen, but that's not nearly as much fun. ;-)

Think you will find yourself in love I'm sure!

Honest opinion is don't go for the 2500 movement for a franken, sure they seem relatively cheap in some corners but if you want the feeling of a 2500 just go for a 2892 in it and you would be much better off in the long run. For starters, who is gonna service a 2500, not many people will be able to and you cut off one of the main advantages of a franken PO over time....cheap service/maintenance costs. Good franken PO's are an amazing watch, and this is coming from someone who has gen, franken, half franken and another rep :)

The only one issue that could've made franken PO's perfect is the tube job that needs to be done, if they could've made it truly 1:1 and allowed a gen tube to screw directly in instead of all the mucking about with epoxy or other methods, then it would've been outstanding.

Also no worries on the new PO reps, hopefully they are good, but they won't be frankenable (where are the parts gonna come from?) and regardless of how good they are on top, turning the watch over ends the illusion! The old PO can be made externally perfect!

Edited by cougar1
  • Like 1