When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor Heritage on custom NATO/cuff

TeeJay

Finally got some net access sorted which allowed me to upload some photos easily :tu: A few weeks back I visited my parents, and my mother had some old scraps of bag webbing, which she wondered if I could use for anything. One piece, I used to make a webbing belt to carry my machette, the others, I brought home for future consideraton, when one morning, I decided to use them to make a watch strap to wear while camping that would take a reasonable amount of abuse, but still look okay :) I was considering making a velcro strap, but hadn't got any of that Vulcan wonder-material and no cash to buy more, so I was limited to the scraps of webbing and the buckles/sliders they already had fitted. In the end, I came up with a design which uses tension as the primary structural force, with a section of wider webbing which loops back on itself to create initial tension round the wrist, with a narrower strip of webbing, with the watch fitted NATO-style, which then continues to wrap round before passing through a buckle as a fastener. It holds reasonably securely, and although the thin strip does move about laterally over the thicker strap, it seldom requires re-tightening. I can't offer to make any more of these, as I simply don't have the materials, but just wanted to share what I'd done :good::drinks:

DSCN4442.jpg

main buckle to create the initial tension, and secondary buckle to provide the fastener

DSCN4445.jpg

DSCN4446.jpg

• Like 1

Looks great! That would work great for surfing as well. Maybe a little Velcro to secure the extra flap? Tease tease. Awesome work and it looks rather nice with the Heritage. E

Thanks, amigo :good::drinks: I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out for a re-purposing of scraps project :) If I was to re-work it in the future, I would replace the entire thin strap with one made of velcro, so it would get full adhesion on the under cuff :) I originally intended to put my Tudor Snowflake on it (when I complete the build, that is :lol: ) but when I realized the webbing was 22mm, I figured I might as well put the Heritage on it to avoid compressing the edging, and equally, to be using quartz for a potentially rougher activity :)

For those Seiko big diver owners this would be great as well.

E

Very quick and easy to do, I doubt loose webbing and buckles would be expensive to track down if anyone wanted to have a go for themselves :)

Very nice fancy making me one it really looks so cool love it would look great on my incoming Pam243 ; )

Thanks, dude, I'm glad you like it :good::drinks: I wish I could make one for you, but I simply don't have the materials to do so :pardon: If you hit up eBay, and google, you'll probably be able to find some webbing and plastic buckles which you can use to make one :victory:

Thanks info appreciated ; )

I really wish I could make one for you, but it was literally made out of scraps of webbing, so I haven't got anything left which would be enough to use to make another... It really is just a matter of making a loop out of the wider webbing, then sewing a strip of the narrow webbing on the end (and flaming the ends to prevent fraying) so very easy to do :) Here's a quick photo showing how it's constructed:

DSCN4467.jpg

Looks slick, even if I don't like straps! Good job, T.

Thanks, J :good::drinks: I have to admit, it's not one I would wear unless I was going camping, or some other extreme activity due to the thickness of the cuff, but I'm really pleased with how it turned out as a quick and simple re-purposing project :)

Great job Teejay, that strap looks pretty damn strong! That's a cool tip on how to put together a strong strap for heavy duty use such as building work or similar.

Thanks, it really was just one of those times when I was trying to work out what to do with the scraps, when I thought about the velcro Panerai watch strap I used to own, how comfortable it was, and how it would be nice to have something similar again :good::drinks: The obvious step up in refining the design is to replace the thinner strap with velcro so it's a totally secure fit, rather than the current friction closure which is adequate, but not 100% 'strap on and forget about' with extreme exertion. I think my main aim, was to have a strap which needed the 'loop back on itself' action to create tension, as in the past, I had another velcro strap (not the PAM one) which was all in one line, and kept rotating on the wrist any time I tried to put the watch on :bangin::lol:

Definitely a great job on the strap! Looks tough as hell

That's a great combo!!! Looks fantastic.

Many thanks, amigos :good::drinks: I take it this gets the forum Seal of Approval for my next Bear Grylls impression? :lol:

Private TeeJay item Endorsed !!!

Lol honestly love that strap

:tu: :tu: I just wish I had the materials to do another for you, but honestly, it was really easy to make :) Just a case of finding the right size webbing, and maybe 10-15 minutes worth of stitching :good::drinks:

It does look great but I am amazed no one has asked the more interesting questions? Why and where are you carrying a machete. :)

I'm very insecure and need to carry a big blade to feel safe in public :whistling:

Only joking, it's just something I picked up for future use when camping, but wanted an individual belt to wear it on, rather than having the weight of the blade attempt to drop my pants all the time :lol: On a survival blog, where the guy also smiths his own blades, he designed something he refers to as a Bowkri (combines elements of a Bowie and Kukri) and by coincidence, it has a near identical blade profile to mine, so that's what I consider it to be :) Here it is:

DSCN4479.jpg