When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

16800 project shelved...

TeeJay

So today, I decided to try and make a start on my 16610 to 16800 conversion project. Let's just say that anything that could go wrong, did go wrong. My plan to convert the dial almost went to plan, to start with, the stickers didn't come out perfectly round, nor were they the right size of a 16610 dial markers, but Maxi Dial size instead... Oh well, thought I, it would just have to be a 16800M, so I got the Night Color to start luming. Only problem was the paint was really thick, and looked terrible when it went on. I then applied a second coat of another luminous paint, which actually flattened out the appearance quite nicely, so I then proceeded to matte varnish the dial. The varnish and the paper of the stickers didn't exactly react well together, and this is the result... Those of a nervous disposition, with a heart condition or just eaten may wish to avert their eyes...

DSCN4501.jpg

On the plus side, the lume went into the Yukipearl without issue, and after I widened the hole on the insert, it looked absolutely awesome on the case :tu: This is the only good news of the project... I knew the dial was unuseable, but somehow, I had lost one of the hour markers, so I couldn't even replace them over the varnished dial. I then decided to try installing my snowflake dial, although that meant removing the cyclops from the crystal :bangin: Let's just say that without a butane lighter, that didn't go to plan either, and I only succeded in fucking up the cyclops and breaking the seal around the crystal, so that's the case now naffed up (I can't be bothered to replace the crystal) Not having any double-sided tape, I had to resort to using epoxy to fix the snowflake dial onto the movement, and then put that in the 5517 case, as I was unable to decase the 79190 dial/movement. In the end, I wound up with one totally destroyed 16610 dial and a case I can't be bothered to salvage at present, however, I installed the clean insert with Yuki pearl on my 79190, and that will be resuming its duties as my daily beater, with my snowflake (still sans snowflake hands) on NATO for hotter weather. Next project will be a custom GMT based on the 6542. I might pick up another budget 16610 and simply matte varnish the dial for a circa 1984 16800, but I really did want to get a circa 1981 built. Oh well, such is life... :pardon:

some times days go like that TJ

They do indeed :D If I was to re-attempt the project, I would use vinyl instead of paper stickers, and would definitely try JMBs suggestion of using a piece of metal tubing as a punch to get the round markers. I think once the dial went wrong, it was just a downhill spiral of me trying to salvage something for my efforts :bangin::lol: At least I still have my 79190 in prime condition :tu:

What about the Yuki 16800 matte dial, Tee?

http://www.yukiwatch...817/7597436.htm

Maybe you could relume it if you were so inclined.

Oh that would definitely work, but my plan had been to convert the 16610 dial and to keep the build as much a 'budget project' as possible. Ironically, the datewheel on the a21j has the curved 3s and open 6s and 9s which were perfect for the 16800, and now hidden beneath a no-date dial :lol:

looking good TJ

Thanks, amigo :good::drinks: To be fair, they're still both my favorite dials from the house of Tudex, I'd just grown rather attached to the 16610 and was very much looking forward to a successful conversion :lol: I actually already had a movement to use for the snowflake, I just don't have the hands, so had let it sit a while, but after today's shennanigans, I felt it was time to give it an outing :)

Will that lume/varnish come off TJ? Are there the shapes of the markers underneath eg printed white circle that can be used as a guide? Did you use a tooth pick and magnifying lens? If it will come off then have a few practice runs because you will get there.

PS TJ feel free to send it over for a free lume if it is salvageable ;) We've had some good chats and it will be a pleasure to make her sparkle again :)

Thanks for the offer, it's very much appreciated :good::drinks:

I'd made some guides out of one of those stickers folks use to re-use envelopes, and when they were cut, the triangle and batons were dead on accurate shapes, but the circles simply couldn't be cut perfectly round, due to the edge of the scissors fouling against the tweezers I was holding the sticker with :bangin: I figured the lume would 'clean things up a bit' (' :bangin: ) but I must've got a bad batch of Night Color as it was way too thick and looked nasty, when I've had no trouble using it in the past for luming, as can be seen here:

DSCN4477.jpg

When I then varnished it, the varnish started to disintegrate the edges of the paper, which created that cloudy effect. I peeled them off without trouble, and was going to re-install the original markers, but then found that one had gotten lost... At this point, rational thought left me, and I just wanted to do something with the project so it wasn't a total waste, which was when I got the bright idea of using my snowflake dial. I've removed cyclops' before in the past, but using a butane lighter, which I didn't have this time. A regular lighter didn't do anything but put carbon on the lens, so in the end, I wound up taking a chisel to try and chip it off, but just fucked up the cyclops and broke the superglue seal which was keeping the case waterproof. By this point, I'd just had enough, and having epoxied the snowflake dial to the 16610's movement, I just put the hands back on and put it all back in the 5517 case. I've not completely given up thoughts of tackling the project, it's just a case of going to have to use vinyl stickers instead, a better quality matte varnish, and of course, a new budget 16610, as I'd rather just start fresh than trying to piece the other one back together :lol: My trusty 79190 has resumed wrist duties, albeit after a little facelift courtessy of the 16610 insert, and an upgrade of the Yuki pearl I'd bought for the 16800 (before, I'd been using an old 16610 dial marker to act as a pearl :bangin: I wouldn't go so far as to say the show's totally over, just temporarily suspended, and I want to tackle another project before returning to this one :victory:

Not sure why you epoxied the dial; maybe you had no choice, but you can get dial feet that stick on. I'll show you a pic of my 1680 dial with the 2824 feet stuck on.

That's the truth of it, brother, I'd run out of double sided tape, and was desperate to finish 'something' :bangin: My 79190's dial is only taped down, and it's never shifted a milimeter. I'd use tape again on future projects, this really was just a matter of having no other choice :lol:

• Like 1

That's the truth of it, brother, I'd run out of double sided tape, and was desperate to finish 'something' :bangin: My 79190's dial is only taped down, and it's never shifted a milimeter. I'd use tape again on future projects, this really was just a matter of having no other choice :lol:

Hahahah we are definitely brothers. I have to come away with "something" too. With your dial and my graveyard of broken 2824 movements we could start a joint operation :)

Hahahah we are definitely brothers. I have to come away with "something" too. With your dial and my graveyard of broken 2824 movements we could start a joint operation :)

Sounds like a good plan :good::drinks: I actually got a bit of good news earlier this evening, as a friend had transfered some cash to my account to settle what they owed me for tattoo work done, and with another booking I have next Friday, that's going to give me enough spare cash to pick up a budget GMT Master II: I literally only want the watch for the movement for a custom build, so that'll give me a few more spare parts towards 16800 Take II :victory:

[Edit to add]

Here's another dial I lumed myself with Night Color:

DSCN2704.jpg

Wow you've gone for a really early sub look there! Wouldn't mind a GMT myself, but the old one with the Pepsi bezel.

I was using the 6200 as my basis, which wasn't even called a Submariner :lol: As it's currently sans movement/hands, this is the watch which is going to be the basis for my GMT project :) When I got the watch, the stock bracelet was junk, and that was the only other one I could get to fit. I've since installed a more appropriate bracelet by filing some end links to fit :) I have to admit, GMTs are just as wearable, if not moreso, than subs :victory: Are you meaning the 6542 or the 1675?

Nice do u have a lume shot of the number sub?

DSCN4523.jpg