When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Nice priced vintage NOS watches.

offshore

I was doing a bit of price checking on new Squale watches, and found this UK dealer with some extremely well priced NOS, but 1970 vintage watches.

http://www.watchgecko.com/catalog/index.php?manufacturers_id=35

It appears that when the Squale (Italian company) were taken over by the Swiss, there were a stack of cases and dials from 1970's production.

So they have been assembled with new ETA movements and straps/bracelets and offered with warranty in new boxes. Apparently the only issue is that the lume on some dials is a bit ordinary.

A bit of history and eye candy here-http://www.gnomonwatches.com/Product-view.asp?id=59

So being the ferret that I am, I did some more checking, and found I could access supply of these NOS pieces at VERY good prices indeed!

Unfortunately there is not a lot of stock left, and I am just now getting quantities and final pricing.

But stay tuned because we may have a chance to do a one off group buy (Once I seek approval from the admin here) and have some wonderful old watches in NOS condition FS at prices we pay for much lesser products.

I do wish to keep this pretty low key, so anyone with any questions please PM or email me.

Offshore

• Like 1

Are you sure these are NOS? I was under the impression that squale still produced watches, at least it looks that way going by their site: http://www.squale.ch/

edit: never mind, I should have read the squale site a bit more carefully. They say "N.B.: this model is a 1970/80s (nos) original in all components except for the movement and strap."

However, the price quoted from squale.ch (for the 1515-005 at least) is cheaper than watchgecko. Even with postage which I believe is 20 euro. Maybe you could get a better deal for a group buy if you go straight to squale themselves?

Edited by horzs

Are you sure these are NOS? I was under the impression that squale still produced watches, at least it looks that way going by their site: http://www.squale.ch/

edit: never mind, I should have read the squale site a bit more carefully. They say "N.B.: this model is a 1970/80s (nos) original in all components except for the movement and strap."

However, the price quoted from squale.ch (for the 1515-005 at least) is cheaper than watchgecko. Even with postage which I believe is 20 euro. Maybe you could get a better deal for a group buy if you go straight to squale themselves?

Already been done.

O/S

Already been done.

O/S

Then I have to say it sounds like an excellent idea!

Also, the watchgecko site lists some watches with an ETA automatic movements so I suppose that is where the extra cost comes in, as the squale site lists them as quartz. I'm sure you already know, but just incase other people (like me :bangin: ) didn't notice.

A quick update- this is moving ahead, and the first shipment is on its way.

I am working on having a "Squale Australia" website up and running in a couple of weeks.

Guys, Indulge me here whilst I take a short stroll through history..

Founded in 1946, the Squale brand name is a synonym for Swiss Made professional diving watches.

In the beginning, Squale produced watches and watch cases for various Swiss brands who didn't have the knowledge to build professional dive timepieces. The smaller brands used the Squale logo on their dial as a sign of quality.

In 1950, Squale began to produce their own range of professional diving watches under the Squale name marking the beginning of the brands institutional history.

At the end of End 1960`s, Squale introduced their first 1000 meter divers watch with a unique glass on flexible mountings that didn't use or need a Helium release valve.

Squale started to supply the elite corps of a large number of armed forces, including the parachutists corps "Folgore Brigade" part of the Italian Airforces ( "Aeronautica Militare Italiana") and the Italian Navy’s Diving Corps, the "Marina Militare Italiana". This made Squale legendary for quality and they became the benchmark brand for dive watches internationally, a status it has enjoyed for several decades.

Squale for decades has become synonymous with quality and reference point of diving watches worldwide.

Super, Master, Medium, and 1000M cases, were sold to brands such as Altanus Genève, Arlon, Potens Prima, Prima Flic, Jean Perret Geneva, Ocean Diver / Blandford, Deman Watch, Margi, Berio, Eagle Star Genève, La Spirotechnique, Wertex, Carlson Tavernier Geneva and Sinn.

500m Cases with a crown at 4 were sold to brands like Airin, Dodane, Blancpain, Tag Heuer, Doxa, Zeno and Auricoste, just to to name a few.

Zeno lately but more in particular Tag Heuer, Doxa and Auricoste in their Spirotechnique versions and Blancpain in the Bund 3H.

These gave Squale quite some international prestige in the early 70s

Thanks to this commercial success; in 1974, Squale decided to market their own watches as an independent entity, with their own cases, and now alone with Squale name on the dial.

The relaunch of The Squale brand in February 2010 and its new production in Grenchen in the Swiss Jura valley portend an exciting future for the brand.

Now, an interesting side light of the relocation of Squale from Italy to Switzerland, was that some limited quantities of original 1970 cases and dials were located in the warehouse.

Squale have decided to package them with new movements and straps, boxes and 2 years warranty, and offer them for sale at very reasonable prices. The only issue is that the lume on some dials is not 100%, as would be understood. You can see some of the modela being offered by a UK company here-http://www.watchgecko.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/39/osCsid/7a780c5afb387ffcd876cc80633cb393

Even more important, most if not all of these see here, will be able to be purchased, at even better prices than these, via myself, from a contact I have.

And the new release Pro series as seen here will also be available at much reduced pricing to anyone interested. http://www.longislandwatch.com/Squale_Professional_Dive_Watches_s/1866.htm

There will be approx 20 watches being shipped over the next week or so, if anyone has any interest in a specific Squale model, please contact me by PM, let me know the model and any specifics in dial/bezel/strap config, and I will get that model quoted and advise you. Pricing will include registered post to your home country so please list that as well.

Thanks guys, an exciting time, with some interesting models.

Offshore.

O/S I've got to thank you for making this possible. :notworthy:

Gents, this is truly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I dare say never again will you be able to pick from a list of NOS Squale dive watches. They sort of went astray trying to survive in the quartz movement era ... no matter, these are the REAL DEAL. Factory new Squale divers from the 70s, the Pro series with automatic movements, and you're not taking chances with inaccurate Ebay listings.

Once in a lifetime... pity I don't have more squirreled away for this moment.

Edit: I was reading the texts and saw the reference to Blancpain and Doxa. Blancpain used the Squale compressor case in its 1000m Barakuda diver ... one of THE iconic dive watches.

Those who have an interest in these, need to get on to it. ASAP!

Of 20 watches in the initial shipment, 7 are sold, 3 on hold pending funds, and another 3 from the "new" products area also have been placed on order to be shipped.

Still a few left, but not too many...and when they're gone...they're gone!

Offshore

I have just placed another order for more watches as the 1st lot have been basically taken up.

Looks like I will only be getting a couple more of the NOS vintage, although one model which is proving very popular still has 30 pieces left.(Another 6 of that one in this order)

I now have price lists and a list of all the production watches with pricing, which I can email to anyone who sends their email addy to watchbitz@bigpond.com.

Thanks gents.

Offshore

• 3 weeks later...

Well my little treasure touched down today, all 101atm or 1000M W/P case of it!

DSC02614.jpg

It really has a presence, wears pretty big for its 44mm.

The most outstanding feature is the clear bakelite bezel, which allows the lume bezel numbers to shine through.

The bakelite bezel is coloured in a multi-stage process. First the phosphorescent SuperLuminova material is applied by hand, followed by colouring with varnishes immune to seawater corrosion, and then application to the supporting steel substrate. This guarantees that the component is warm to the touch while guaranteeing excellent bevel legibility thanks to the transparency.Like the model that inspired it, the bezel can always be unscrewed from above.

Not that you can see, but its on a superbly comfortable proprietary mesh bracelet... a wonderful addition.

This is one lovely watch guys, I feel privileged to be able to own it.!

Offshore

She's a stunner, O/S an absolute stunner. Clear bakelite inserts are outrageously cool, one of the hallmarks of an iconic early diver. I've had Seawolfs, LeJours, Blancpains, Certinas, Squales ... all with bakelite inserts and they just add a "something" to the dial.

Does that 1000m have the hooded lugs? It's like a tonneau case on steroids. :wub:

Gorgeous piece!

Does that 1000m have the hooded lugs? It's like a tonneau case on steroids. :wub:

Gorgeous piece!

Yes mate, hooded lugs, with a mesh bracelet. I also bought a yellow rubber band for those 'sport" days!

And yes it is quite stunning, certainly turns heads, and raises comments...probably more in 1 day today than for all my other pieces , ever!

BTW, I stole a Seawolf from a guy in Europe last night, That should be with me in a week or so. Nice late model piece in nice nick.

So many watches, so few wrists! :rofl:

O/S